Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chile Salsa

Hatch Chiles have arrived here in Dallas...or they did last week. I've never cooked with them and while I've had food with them in them, have never totally understood the whole craze over them. I think part of it has to be that it is one great marketing ploy, but I'll reserve my judgement until I play around with them a bit. So I picked up a bunch of them yesterday. $0.99 a lb ain't too shabby of a deal, IMHO. Figured a good charred salsa would be a great way to play around with them for the first time. Got all my veggies together, grabbed a cold drink and headed to sit by the Egg. I thought I had it stabilized around 500, but it shot up to 575ish. No biggie, just close it down a bit and throw on the veggies anyway.

Took about 10-15 mintues to get all the veggies good and charred up

I put the chiles in a bowl and covered them with plastic wrap so the skins would sweat and fall right off. The rest of the veggies got roughly chopped and thrown in a food processor. Once the chiles had cooled a bit, I removed the skins and veins and seeds (reserving some of the seeds in case it wasn't hot enough). I started off using 3 of the chiles. I had no idea where the heat level would be, so I didn't want to use all 5. You can always add more, but you can't take out any. I also ended up only using 1.5 of the limes. In addition, I used 3 tbsp of roughly chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste

Came out pretty tasty. Not as hot as I usally like my salsa, so I added some extra seeds. Better. The burn from the chiles was different than I was used to. Seemed to be a front of the mouth burn, versus back or throat. And it didn't linger for very long. Quick and short. Still not sure what all the fuss is about with these chiles. I don't think salsa was the best way to evaluate them with so many other flavors, but it sure was tasty. Mrs. G goes out of town Friday and I've already got some ideas of what I am going to cook using some more of them that night.

On a totally unrelated side note (very OFF TOPIC), I went to the Doc last Friday. Just got my results back last night and I AM NO LONGER DIABETIC!! My A1C has fallen to 4.7 and my EAG was 88. Doc told me to stop taking meds IMMEDIATELY. I'm still going to continue to eat better, avoid processed foods and keep my carbs down low as I don't want it to come back, but I am so happy. And feel so much better. My goal was to beat this thing by the end of summer and I did just that. Sorry for going OT, but I had to share this with y'all.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2013
    Congrats on fighting off the "sugars" buddy!

I love me some hatch peppers. For me, it's the flavors they add along with the heat. I just throw in some habanero's if I want it hotter. It's great as a green sauce for enchiladas.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Congrats on the salsa

and 

CONGRATS ON THE DIAGNOSIS!!!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Looking forward to hearing what you've got up your sleeve for these this weekend.

Congrats on the good health news!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Great news. Could I make that salsa with a mix of pablanos and jalapeños?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    That is great news on your health Griff! 

Back on topic...I have never heard of "hatch chilis" maybe its a Texas thing. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I just got back to Texas from my two week vacation and walked in the house and SWMBO started ranting and raving Hatch Chiles are in and we need to go to Central Market.

Loaded up and should be good for a few months. Doing Hatch Chili stuffed Chicken breasts tonight.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Hatch chiles are great!  They come from Hatch, New Mexico.  I like to take a hunk/hunks of the cooked flesh and put them on a hamburger.  Or you can dice them finely and spread them on buttered toast.  Mmmmm......my mouth is watering.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2013

@henapple For sure, you just need to play around with it a bit to get the heat where you want it. Usually I use jalapenos. You can use red onions instead of white. Throw in some corn if that's your thing. Lots of things can be added. Bell peppers if you like them. And you can omit the cilantro for those who aren't fans. I usually just kind of haphazzardly throw in whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I'll even just toss the veggies directly on the coals. Gereat way to use veggies that are getting a bit past their prime.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    JRWhitee said:
    That is great news on your health Griff! 

Back on topic...I have never heard of "hatch chilis" maybe its a Texas thing. 
    as @huskdent said, they are a New Mexico thing. Hatch, New Mexico to be exact.

Rowlett, Texas

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Anyone ever driven through Hatch, NM?  You may have forgotten if you did.  It only has about 1600 people, and the town itself isn't very big.  I drove through on my way from Tucson to Nebraska, and had no idea what it was.  I was struck by how many chile peppers were hanging around the town.  They were literally everywhere. Pillars, lightpoles, walls, trees...everywhere.  It was crazy.

According to wikipedia, the town swells to about 30,000 during the Hatch chile festival, held each Labor Day.  Sounds like a blast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch,_NM

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• I guess this is just a southwestern thing.
    If you don't appreciate New Mexico chilis, you are sad, sorry, taste impoverished individual!

They aren't the best for salsa, though.  They are best for making pork green chili.

lard + flour + pork + roasted green chilis + salt + maybe tomatoes = awesome. Eat it with tortillas, or over a burrito. 

There are many different cultivars of the New Mexico Green Chile. They've even got some that are super hot.  Nothing close to a habanero, Thai, ghost, or anything like that, but they make up for it in mass. 

• Griffin
    @Scottc454 I might try that prok green chili on Sunday. Is there a way to do it on the Egg?

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Griffin... Might try stuffing one like an abt. Not sure I can find hatch chiles here...
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    That looks great, I'll add that to my weekend cook list...thanks for the post.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Griffin said:

@Scottc454 I might try that prok green chili on Sunday. Is there a way to do it on the Egg?

You can do it. I did some last year and was amazing. Let me look around about a recipe I had written up years ago for a friend of mine.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin

@henapple I've been looking at a shimp and goat cheese stuffed one that I might try.

@TUTTLE871 would love to see it.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    I'm assuming bacon is involved...
  • Great news Grif! Fantastic.

BTW- hatch chilies usually come in "Hot" and "Mild". They can be really hot when you get the right ones

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Great news to hear. Congratulations!

Great looking salsa too - might need to try making these.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Griffin

@henapple wasn't planning on it, but now that you mention it...

@The_Cen-Tex_Smoker They had two bins, one marked mild, one marked how, I went for hot of course.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Suggestion: chop up and cook hamburgers and/or meatloaf. Very good IMO.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good news, Griff. 

I cooked up about 6 pounds of hatch peppers last week.  Some for my neighbor and some for me.  I should have removed the seeds and membrane because the soup I made had some serious heat, and I'm a lover of hot.
    Congrats, Griff!  Hey try using some tomatillos instead of the red tomato.

I travel to Gainesville regularly and they got a Chuy's there within the last year.  They have really good Hatch Green Chili Sauce
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Griffin
    @thetrim it was a toss up between doing a regular salsa and an knock off Chuy's one with tomatillos. I wasn't sure if Central market was going to have tomatillos, so I went with regular. In fact, I forgot to look for tomatillos while I was there. Doh!!

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2013
    SaltySam said:

Anyone ever driven through Hatch, NM?  You may have forgotten if you did.  It only has about 1600 people, and the town itself isn't very big.  I drove through on my way from Tucson to Nebraska, and had no idea what it was.  I was struck by how many chile peppers were hanging around the town.  They were literally everywhere. Pillars, lightpoles, walls, trees...everywhere.  It was crazy.

According to wikipedia, the town swells to about 30,000 during the Hatch chile festival, held each Labor Day.  Sounds like a blast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch,_NM

First and most important, congrats on the diabetes victory.   \:D/

I've been to the Hatch Chile Festival.  We stumbled on it one year on our way to Albuquackie.  It's like a county fair.  It has a large pavillion and people are sitting there, eating chile stuff.  The strings of chiles are called ristras.  I buy some every year from Hatch Chile Express and hang them outside my house.  Warning:  Do NOT hang them inside your house.  Moths lay their eggs in the chiles and in a few months, you will be infested with moths (the kind that get in your food).  It took us about a year to get rid of them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple

Good news, Griff. 

I cooked up about 6 pounds of hatch peppers last week.  Some for my neighbor and some for me.  I should have removed the seeds and membrane because the soup I made had some serious heat, and I'm a lover of hot.

I've read where it's not good to eat a pablano membrane... True or false?
  • My wife lived in New Mexico for about ten years. She makes green chili which is the photo below and can be put on just about anything. I had a batch in the fridge and it is awesome on eggs. You can also make green chili stew which is very good. 

As far as spice goes they range from mild to hotter than anything else I have had including habanero and I am a spice nut!

I will ask her the recipe tonight and post it up!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Was at Central Market this past weekend - Hatch Peppers were in full swing.  Saw people carrying cases of them away. 

We discussed - neither of us had a clear plan of what to do with them - so didn't buy any.   The salsa and roasting looks great.

Would see if they still had any - except now we are about to leave for Maine.   Maybe next year.

Cookin in Texas
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Central Market sells jars of Cookwell & Company green chile stew.  All you add is pork.  Pretty dang good!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    HEB also sells Hatch Green Chile Salsa Rojo (Central Market brand).  It's good and has some heat to it.  I bought a jar yesterday.  Will buy more.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious