Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT, OT, personal post...

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

My eldest is going off to college (Texas A&M) on Sunday.  We'll be glad to see her go.  We're proud of her and love her very much, it is just time for her to leave the house for a while and be off on her own.  She has been convinced that she knows more than her parents (or teachers) since she was 3.  I don't get to drive her over there because she made a plan on when to move in to her dorm - then I worked my work schedule around her plan - then she changed the plan.  Her mother is taking her.  She thinks her mother is an idiot.  Once my wife gets back from this I'll probably break out the champagne.  I'm looking forward to the day that she realizes that her mother and I are not as dumb as she currently thinks we are - not because I want to say "I told you so" but because I will know that she has grown up and our relationship can evolve accordingly.  Many have told me that it will come, but she is so strong-willed that even if she realizes it, she will likely never admit it to us....

When I open my first drink after she leaves I will think of @henapple and others here who are similarly celebrating the "moving on" of their offspring.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2013
    Options
    @foghorn Sounds like she has "I need a swift kick in the ass" syndrome. Luckily it's usually curable.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    @Foghorn Having met you, I think your daughter is wise beyond her years.   :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @foghorn... I think we're celebrating somewhat differently. I'm sure she'll figure it out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    edited August 2013
    Options

"@foghorn Sounds like she has "I need a swift kick in the ass" syndrome. Luckily it's usually curable."

She's proven to be resistant to that form of treatment.  In looking at other parents it's clear to me that I am among the 5% of meanest parents in terms of trying to hold my kids to high standards.  She's had her share of punishment over the years.  For 5 consecutive school years she was grounded (loss of cell phone, computer and all contact with friends) for at least 8 weeks because she refused to do schoolwork on the grounds that "It was a stupid assignment from a stupid teacher so I have a moral obligation not to do the assignment" - or "I'd rather be grounded and know that I am standing up for what I believe than clean my room", etc. 

"@Foghorn Having met you, I think your daughter is wise beyond her years."

I can't argue with that.

"@foghorn... I think we're celebrating somewhat differently. I'm sure she'll figure it out. "

I hope you are right.  Thanks.

And to be clear, she's not a bad kid.  Despite her refusal to do MANY assignments over the years she finished in the top 15% of her class and has 3 AP credits.  Her got over 2000 on the SAT (out of the new 2400 point, 3 subject total).  She's an all-conference soccer player who had Division 1 coaches contacting her until she had 3 ACL injuries.  She has had a job for the past 1.5 years and her bosses say she is one of their best workers.

She is just strong-willed and has a problem with certain authority figures who she sizes up as "stupid", and her mother is among them 90% of the time.  I am among them about 25% of the time.....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @foghorn Sounds like she has "I need a swift kick in the ass" syndrome. Luckily it's usually curable.
    That's funny.  People usually say I need a punch in the mouth.  Is that kinda the same thing?
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @foghorn that sounds like my 15 year old son. He gets B's instead of A's because he doesn't do the homework assignments. I have his phone and playstation more than he does. I usually end up base lining the argument with "you might not like me now but I am working for your respect when you are 25 and out of college, then you will realize I had your best interest at heart and if I look the other way now you see me as a bad parent" 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Mine is 6 and 3 so looking forward to another 10+ years before needing to do this. Will probably dread it when it comes around :) Congrats @henapple and others.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Kids are different. Baby Girl and I talk about everything.. Jake on the other hand is the sneaky one. His soda intake is monitored but while rearranging his room we found 12 empty Mountain Dew cans hidden. He's the one who's Internet history and ipod selection I'm always checking.
    I have a lot of the traits your daughter has. It has been a hindrance in areas but helped in others such as business.
    I've seen you and your son together and it's obvious he looks up to you. He looks a lot like you... But pulls it off... :))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Great job Tony! Proud Dad!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

"I've seen you and your son together and it's obvious he looks up to you. He looks a lot like you... But pulls it off... :)) "

I can't argue with that either.  I'm beginning to regret meeting you and VI in Salado. You're making me face the truth....

Fortunately for my wife's health, my son is very different from his sister.  He's the best kid I know and multiple teachers, parents, and coaches have confirmed that.  I'll definitely miss him when he goes away.  Mom is going to shed a lot of tears on that day. 

San Antonio, TX