Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT? BBQ class - good idea?

Options
I have had some pretty good success with cooks I have on the Egg, but was wondering what is the general feeling on taking a bbq class?
I want to kick it up to the next level, but don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Learn tons here, but techniques like how to choose the best meat etc is an area of opportunity for me.
Thoughts?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO reading this and other Egg forum will (as well as other BBQ forums) get you there as long as you go to a few EggFests.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Vegas Eggus
    Options
    Research to make sure it will meet your expectations. I signed up for one and frankly probably should have been teaching the thing. First clue was seeing that they had fired up the smoker with lighter fluid and briquettes.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Mickey - most of the Eggfests are pretty far from Ottawa. Also are there demos/classes that teach one about meat selection etc?
    If so - I will be there.
    I have no problem learning different types of cooks, but from what I learned here, the choice of meat makes a huge difference.
    Vegas - agreed - that is a bit frightening...
    Research is key here.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    The dealer I bought the egg at does Saturday morning cooks, I have stopped in for a few of them and have learned as much from talking to others attending the demos. Gerhard
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    There's one class taught in South Georgia by this guy named Myron Mixon, you may have heard of him.  I've thought of taking his weekend class, but it's a tad expensive at $750 per person for the weekend...
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Thanks, will see if there are any closer to Ottawa. There are probably cooks at the Ottawa dealer too.