Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

0 for 2 on Ribeyes, charcoal taste this time...

Options
I'm new to the BGE, (5th cook tonight). Thought I'd sear a couple of Ribeyes... Brand new high que and a fresh bag of royal oak, 500 direct with grid on the fire ring. Steaks came out okay, not as chared as I would have liked, and a hair more than medium. That I can figure out. The major issue with these is that after two glasses of wine, I can still taste the charcoal... What's the brain trusts fix for avoiding the charcoal taste?

LBGE

BTFU!

Comments

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    How long after you lit the lump did you wait to put the meat on?  Was it fresh lump?  If it was fresh and you were quick to cook, perhaps you are tasting VOCs.  Let the Egg stabilize for about 20 minutes at your desired temperature.  The exhaust should be nearly odorless at that point.  Perhaps that will help.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Not sure how fresh, but straight outta the bag, if that's what you mean. Got her to temp and tossed the steaks on, I figured that was the issue.... Thanks

LBGE

BTFU!

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Like TEggSun said....wait for the VOC's to burn off. 
    I put a ¼ of my cast iron grid (It comes in quarters) right on the coals in order to get that charred effect you're talking about for about 1½ min per side (turning 90° every 45 seconds).  Then I move it up to the felt line grid and cook it to 125° internal.
    Some don't even use a grid...they throw it right onto the coals...that's my next experiment.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Turk2011
    Turk2011 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm also a newbie to the egg. Just cooked ribeyes last night. I followed the t-tex method to a T. Best steaks I've ever had and I've be grilling for a long time. I was a little iffy about the instructions going in but just trust me and give it a try.
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Options
    @Logger, I can't wait to see your caveman results.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Hankyorke
    Options
    Thanks foe the feedback folks. It's much appreciated.

LBGE

BTFU!

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I second the suggestion to try the T Rex method. Makes a mean steak. And as others have already said, just let the lump burn longer before you put the food on. That will take care of it.
    Southern California
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    What are you lighting the charcoal with?  Are you sure it's charcoal you're tasting and not fire starter?  If you're using fire starters of some kind, try a folded paper towel with about 2 tsp of veg oil instead.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Probably just not giving new coals enough time, but did you close the lid and choke off the air while steaks were on the grill after you seared them?  You can get some nasty smoke when fat drips in an oxygen deprived environment.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Let the smoke clear before cooking anything on the BGE...even if the BGE is at temp...patience is your friend...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    wait for the lump to smell like a clean fire before the steak goes on. that flavor could also be from burnt pepper or rub if you put that on. i like the trex method with just salt on the steak for the sear so as not to burn the pepper, i put the pepper on just after the sear before the roasting stage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I wuz thinkn' not nuf drinkn'  . Use cant tel munch tween med an med well. Do lik me an drnk mor.
    afer tat who carez

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    Options

+1 on waiting on the smoke to go clear...

I've always had good luck with this recipe:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1132588/scott-s-infamous-mustard-rubbed-steak

StlScott

• Hankyorke
    Options

Thanks guys, I am 99% sure it was a lack of patience.  No issues today with taste... I waited about 10 minutes longer.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I crank up the temp to about 550 - 600. Works better for me.
    Dave - Austin, TX