Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti 45 versus Brute Box50?

I'm in the cooler market and thought the guru's of this forum might be able to give some advice. I'm looking for a cooler that can hold a nice size piece of smoked meat, ribs, butt, or brisket. As well, hold cold beverages for a tailgate. I'd like to be able to carry this cooler short distances if possible.  I like the size of the Yeti45, but am afraid it might not hold a larger piece of meat.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• I own the Yeti 45 and it is a perfect size for my family.  Great cooler!  I think to carry a butt of up to 10lbs or so you might be better served with the Yeti 50.  That should leave you room for plenty of ice as well as plenty of drinks.  FYI You aren't carrying any Yeti very far when fully packed without an additional body.  Also, take their recommendations on the amount of ice if you need it for more than a day or two.  Don't forget to keep your cooler chained up at all times if you are leaving it at your tailgate site or leaving it in the back of a truck.  

Glen's Army Navy store throws in a free wall mounted bottle opener, fat foam can koozie, master lock, free shipping, and no sales tax if you are looking for a good deal.  Yeti doesn't allow distributors to alter their prices on the coolers, so shopping around is pretty pointless.

LGE - Roswell, GA
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Check out ORCA too, I really like mine.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you are worried about size Costco has the Pelican 95 for $299 right now. Thats by far the best deal I have seen on a cooler.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I love my Pelican 45.
    I picked up a Brute in Austin... Sent it back. Wouldn't hold ice for 2 days, the drains condensated and their customer service is rude. I don't think the brute is any better than an Igloo for a beer cooler.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I went with the Yeti 45. Liked it so much I went back and got a Yeti Roadie 20.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• LeesApproved  Will a rack of ribs fit into a 45?
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430

shtgunal3
    said:
    Same ones here. Love the Yetis. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Springram said:

shtgunal3
    said:

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    Wanted a car unit and looked at the 20 but hated the handle. All I could think of was the old Colemans with the same handle. How is it (handle) working for you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Springram
    @Mickey - the handle is not the easiest thing to engage/disengage but I do not really use the handle much anyway. Frankly use the Roadie to ice down my beer for the two of us on the patio while watching college football in the fall. If beer is left over it remains super cold for day.

For the car, I would most likely use the side handles anyway.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have a YETI 50.  It is Chrimson and White University Series.  I like it so much that I got a Roadie 20 for easier carry and smaller size.  

They are everything that YETI claims they are.  I have friends that are farmers that have had them in the back of their trucks for years with no damage.  I can jump up and down on both of them without them thinking about breaking, and I weighed 290lbs 2 months ago.  Last time I was showing someone.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Mickey said:

Springram said:

shtgunal3
    said:

Springram

Spring, Texas
    Wanted a car unit and looked at the 20 but hated the handle. All I could think of was the old Colemans with the same handle. How is it (handle) working for you?

ORCA 26. Normal handles.

LBGE

BTFU!

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I got the Yeti 50 for those weekends at the race track and I got the roadie for ice cold beer at the lake.

The funny thing when I go racing other guys are buying Ice from the track at 20Bucks for 20 LBS and they do it 2 or 3 times a weekend. They cant understand why I spent so much on a cooler but they are the ones buying all that ice.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• GreenhawK
    My Roadie with the handle works great for me.  Especially when carrying it to and from the boat.  The only problem is that my wife has trouble getting it to and from the carry position because of how large the bumps that lock it in place are.  It does seem to be getting better with time though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Springram
    Hankyorke said:
    Springram said:

shtgunal3
    said:

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    ORCA 26. Normal handles.
    is this @Mickey #2?  ha ha    :<) please see my response to Mickey above.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Springram
    no wheels on yeti     And they are heavy......

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • yeti 65 here. holds plenty of drinks and makes a great table or platform on the boat

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I must be in a different world here!  I don't consider myself cheap, but I cannot imagine spending that kind of bucks on a cooler.  If I need another bag of ice, no big deal.  When I pack my thermos cooler for a long day or trip, I put a layer or two of bubble wrap on top, and I still have ice 2 days later.  I am a 200 pounder and use my cooler as a seat without any issues.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

+1 with @Cookinbob.  I'm no tightwad either, but I just can't see that money for a cooler.

:-O
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My wife passed out when I spent $300 on a cooler... Revived when I sent it back.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GreenhawK
    They aren't for everybody.  Most people use a cooler for the day every now and then.  I wouldn't buy one then if that was me either.

To me they are for needing to keep things cold for much more than a day.  I have kept things cold for a week in well over 90 degree heat.  We spend weekends at the river all of the time where going to the store for more ice daily isn't very practical.  

It's all in what you need.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @mickey the Roadie is the only Yeti that you can carry one handed. The handle folds down flat with the cooler. I keep it folded down when not carrying it. If you fill it up with beer and ice it is a bit heavy if you have to carry very far. To me the weight is the only con and there are many, many pro's.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .