Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature - with top open

I understand controlling the temperatures when cooking on the Egg now.

250 - 1/8 inch on the lower vent and 1/4 on the petals of the DW.
350 - 1 inch on the lower vent and petals wide open and slid over 1/4 the way

Now my question is about WOK cooking or whatever cooking with the top open.  I know if I am cooking at 350 and I leave the top open for over a minute I will have a raging hot fire (Fire coming up the sides of the Egg).  If I am cooking on a WOK I believe I should close the bottom vent.  Will this keep the fire at a reasonable hot temperature or will it be a blazing fire?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    If you have it closed and open the door a fire will flare up because you have introduced more oxygen to the fire. 

If you have the lid open from the get go, the fire will go down and stay down.  The same as a regular grill.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Lots of eggers use a wok, the temp is hot but as @GreenhawK suggests, the fire will stabilize. There are some folks who can really stir fry on an egg, I'm sure they will help you out. Some of us never use the egg for woking, we use a turkey burner, more heat than an egg if you need it and you can lower it or shut it down if you want - no welder's gloves required. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    +1 Turkey burner

I love cooking on the egg but when it isn't as efficient and doesn't add anything I am ok with the gas.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I leave my top open all the time unless I'm cooking under 300.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC