Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your method for storing or hanging grate as part of prepping to cook process?

JTC
JTC Posts: 20
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Been an egger for 5 years and have converted many gassers to the BGE.  Recently I feel I am in need of a bit of process refinement. My egg resides on a freshly stained wooden deck.  Upon prepping my egg for a cook - I remove the heavy (size Large) cast iron grate and lean it against the egg table - light the grill and add it back to the interior of the dome when ready, etc...   

Problem:  Grate is making a black oily mess on my deck and the side of my table.  Sometimes the grate will slip and fall flat on the deck and, man, can the wide cast iron grill leave behind a lot of black stain that is nearly impossible to clean off the deck. 

Given I just pressure washed and stained my deck - looking for a cleaner solution as to setting the grate aside while lighting the egg.  Thought of adding a lag bolt to the side of the table to hang the grill - but curious what creative solutions already have been vetted by fellow eggers...   Otherwise, my pre-cook order of operations are solid.  

Thanks!

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I place my grate on a couple of cheap pavers - the <$1 kind from HD or Lowes that look like bricks - to avoid the grease stains on my patio or retaining wall.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I have a small stainless table sitting beside my Egg table that I put greasy or hot stuff on.  

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Pavers are a great suggestion or keep a gasser nearby. Great storage and place to shuffle hot setters, grids and stones. For large cooks it is a really convenient warming oven. Love my egg, but would never be without a gasser. My 12 year old Broil King is on the third OEM burner, the ignitor is shot (use a lighter now) but the CI grids are still excellent. Haven't use the spit since the egg arrived as spatchcock chicken is now the norm. The side burner is ideal for prepping/reducing sauces and doing small stir fries. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here's my "staging table" that works for me - especially when my grate is both hot and yucky. It's portable and easy to clean.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Here's s better picture for why I call it a staging table - I can work with the hot grate out of the egg and either load it with food or take food off.

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    I mounted a ornamental wrought iron hook designed to hang potted plants to my table.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I have the Original Grill Pad which I picked up from home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/202448226?productId=202448234). I would have preferred the cheap pavers as the Grill Pad cost me about $30.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I have a screw in "J" hook on the side of my wooden table that the rack hangs vertically on.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have a nest and use one of the s hooks.
    Dunedin, FL
  • RRP said:
    Here's my "staging table" that works for me - especially when my grate is both hot and yucky. It's portable and easy to clean.

@RRP - Ron, that looks great and just the eggcessory I need.  What are the dimensions?
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    Pretty simple actually as the size was dictated by the size of my roll of aluminum flashing I had on hand! The finished size - got that?...finished size is 12 x14. That was using a piece 14 x 16 since I bent the edges so as to have a 1" surround edge. The base was made of scrap 2 x 4 plus a solid top rabbited underneath the top to make it very solid. Was it over kill?...LOL maybe, but it will out last me!
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    @RRP- that staging table is sexy. @JTC- I have my egg at ground level and have cheap pavers, like MQ. Mine are just off the patio, in the garden.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• JTC
    JTC Posts: 20
    RRP - that staging table is 'the sauce' !   The concern that I have with pavers on the wooden deck is they would cause the deck to rot under the pavers (given they would be there year round).  So I thiking hook or maybe even a cutting board with a handle build in - I could lay it on the intersection of my deck railing (where it will be stable) and then put the greasy grate on top.  Not as nice as RRP - but ....   
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I have the roll around nest - not a table.  Concept might be applied to tables.

On the fold up wings are S hooks for hanging tools, etc.

Went to the local hardware store, got a pretty good size S hook and put it on the BACK of the wing.  Bent the top on the wing connection in a bit so it would not come off easy.

Pulling a hot grill off the fire with the Grill Lifter - I step around and hang it on the back of the wing.  Less chance of bumping into it.

Cookin in Texas