Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's Got Gasket?

Just curious the status of your gaskets and how long you've had one?

Are u happy with it in the current condition?

Not interested on the Rutland's cause I know there Always fine and indestructible:)

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• I'm naked on my large, been naked for a good while. Sometimes I feel like I burn a little extra lump, but then sometimes I'm blown away with what's left after a long cook. I've got nomex in the garage but too busy to change it and too lazy when I'm not busy.

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

I'm naked on my large, been naked for a good while. Sometimes I feel like I burn a little extra lump, but then sometimes I'm blown away with what's left after a long cook. I've got nomex in the garage but too busy to change it and too lazy when I'm not busy.

How long u have your large MCN??

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I got my large back in April and am still going strong on the stock gasket.
  • CANMAN1976

I got my large back in April and am still going strong on the stock gasket.

Got my large 2 mths ago still have lots of gasket but it is thinning in areas...is your even all round the egg?

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Yes. It has compressed and darkened a bit it still provides some cushion.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

Have been naked eggging on my first large since last December as too cold to bother with a new gasket.  No problems with it although it seems to use more lump than my second large which is still going strong on the stock gasket since March of last year.  Stock on Mini hanging in well even though I don't like the overhang inside.  Thinking of trimming that up.  Also thinking of re-gasketing the the first before it gets too cold this year which could be anytime soon. temps dropped to 12 Celcius / 53 Fahrenheit last night.  Might be time to hook the dog sled up just in case.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    no gaskets here on any of my 3 eggs for atleast 8 years now, i think they are overrated
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Naked here - Disappointed that it should fail period in a matter of weeks - Sure I got a new one sent to me but now I have to take the thing apart - grind down the surface to apply a new one that will fail again.

Been gasketless for a long time and IME I had to learn to change my settings as the dome/base are not a tight fit.  Every month or so I will have to readjust the dome though.

Garnerville, NY
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Still has mine on LG. It's been 1.5 year.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Naked on one large (well over 3 yrs) and Mini (well over 2 yrs). New Large has the new factory gasket and still working.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Mine on my large lasted almost a year.  When it finally died, I replaced with a Rutland from Ron Pratt (RRP). very happy with it. Mini gasket is looking a bit grim.  When it's time, Rutland again.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Mine were just about gone on the Mini and Lg.  I had noticed a difference on charcoal usage.  IMO the new gasket will pay for itself very quickly.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My small came with the old style (dark grey) gasket  which only lasted a month. Called the mothership and they sent me a new one promptly. The large and mini have the new (lighter grey) gaskets and are going strong. The small and large get most of the work done. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I have the Cotronics gaskets if you want them.  It's flat woven ceramic tape.  Kind of a pain to install, but they last forever after that.  Actually, it's getting the junk felt gasket off that's the pain--after that, it's easy.
  • My large is around 2 years old. I babied my gasket at first, but lost a section after first 2-3 steaks and pizzas so I said screw it. I think the one on the small will last awhile because it rarely gets over 500

XLBGE 
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    I burned mine off the first time i lit er up!! (Didnt realize the temp gauge would go all the way around!!!) havent had a problem, little smoke escapes, thats about it!! X_X
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Yes. It has compressed and darkened a bit it still provides some cushion.
    Got a large in Feb, and I'm in the same spot as @Eggcelsior.  I'm not cooking Pizza, but I am cooking steaks, chicken and also doing low and slow.  The gasket is looking a bit flat and dark, and it is compressed.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Pure Ceramic gasket for me for about a year now, got the Nomex in the pantry, maybe I'll get around to it, but why?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I fried my gasket on a clean burn.  Literally melted the adhesive so that the old gasket was hanging on and could come off easily.  Then cleaned the surface with a pumice stone and installed the new Rutland courtesy of RRP.  Works great.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CANMAN1976
    My gasket is compressed in multiple places now and all mostly on the top\dome.At first I thought it was the first sign of gasket failure but maybe its just normal with useage? I love my egg but getting everything lined up is a real pain and I don't care anymore.There is no smoke leaking and it fairs pretty good on the dollar bill test so It im content for the time being.Have readjusted numerous times with weight on the dome and tightened well but still have a slight overbite.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Don't sweat the details.  The Egg will perform just fine.  Plan your next cook and enjoy an adult beverage.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Toasted the felt gasket on my Large after a few pizzas.  I tried the "copper gasket in a tube" junk (from the auto store).  Spread a heavy bead around the bottom rim, cover with Saran Wrap, then carefully lower the lid, let dry two days.  Remove the Saran Wrap.  Perfect seal, cushions the lid in case you "Bobby Flay" it, ugly, and cheap.  Has held up perfectly for two years now.  I posted a thread about it here with lots of pics, but can't remember the title...  :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure