Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ugh, cracked platesetter.

Options

I come with two questions.  First, is the platesetter guaranteed like the egg?  I bought my egg used so no warranty.  However, I bought my platesetter from a dealer separately the day after buying my used egg but have since moved and lost the receipt.  It is only about 6 months old and yesterday I noticed a crack. 

I was thinking of forgoing the platesetter all together and getting something like a spider.  Can I cook indirectly with a spider?  If I don't buy a spider or a new platesetter, what are some cheap methods to cook indirectly?  80% of my cooks are indirect.

Thank you.  The egg has let me down finally and im bummed.

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I should also note I have taken great care of my platesetter.  I always handle it gently and have never dropped it.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Check out the Kamado Joe heat deflector. I like it better than a plate setter.
    Duncan, SC
  • busmania
    Options
    Also, ive been eyeing a pizza stone (that before I thought was indestructible, now im having doubts).  Could I use a pizza stone as a deflector?
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    my plate setter broke I took photos of it and e-mailed them to my dealer and he in turn sent them to the mothership and in like 2 weeks I had a brand new plate setter 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Yes. The pizza stone could be used as a deflector.
    Duncan, SC
  • busmania
    Options
    my plate setter broke I took photos of it and e-mailed them to my dealer and he in turn sent them to the mothership and in like 2 weeks I had a brand new plate setter 

The problem is, I use a different dealer now.  The guy I bought the platesetter from is kind of an ass so I don't expect him to help me much.  Plus I have moved and now use a dealer much closer to me.  I also no longer have the receipt (I thought with proper care, it would never break).

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It shouldn't matter...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Federalist226
    Options
    I got my cracked PS replaced under warranty. That was about a year ago and I'm still using the cracked PS. The replacement is just sitting in my shed waiting for the PS to finally break.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Contact the mothership directly about it. Let them know where you bought it.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2013
    Options
    From the BGE warranty info at http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/ :

2. OTHER CERAMIC PRODUCTS: The Big Green Egg brand of Plate Setter and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original purchaser. These ceramic components are not covered for breakage from dropping, misuse or abuse.

I'd check with your local dealer or BGE corp direct.

A spider & pizza stone combo works but I'd say get a thick pizza stone (the ones CGS sells are intended for use on the spider).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    It is a three year warranty so if a dealer knew you bought it, you are covered. I'd try a quick call to the realer you bought from first unless you are really uncomfortable with that, then try the current dealer you like. Third would be to BGE direct. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • busmania
    Options

I am now starting to look at adjustable rigs and spiders.  They seem much more versatile.  If I go this route, can I buy two half stones and still use it for things like pizza as a single stone?  Also, is the "adjustable rig" different than the spider?  Is the spider an add on to the adjustable rig?www.ceramicgrillstore.com has me confused.

I will be calling my dealer when he opens to see if he has record of the purchase.  I know which day I bought it on based on bank statements.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning busmania:

Give Tom a call at Ceramic Grill Store...he will be more than happy to talk with you as to what would be best for your type of cooking.

A spider is different from the AR.

I think I have probably used my platesetter less than 5 times since getting the AR a few years ago (even gave one platesetter to my son when he dropped his)

Call Tom!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL