Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Going to buy my BGE tomorrow!!!!!

As the title says the day has arrived. I can get a xl for 899 or a lg for 699. I am leaning towards the xl for the ability to do larger holiday cooks. But it will not leave much room in the budget for extra goodies. What is the best way for me to setup for indirect? The plate setter or get the spider and 17.5" stone what may be a little less money and then add the adjustable rig later. And where does the Woo come in a little confusion there. Thanks for the help
·

Comments

• StlScottStlScott Posts: 77

Welcome to the family.  If you're excited now - I cannot wait to hear you once you've been cooking on your egg.

I do not have many (at all) gadgets, but the one that I do have that I could not live without ... aside from my ash tool ... is the place setter.  I'd say I use it on 80%+ of my cooks.

StlScott

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,206
    Welcome to the family!
    ·
  • Welcome!  Make yourself at home.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 956
    Have fun with the traeger sales man
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • You're going to love the Egg!  Welcome.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,732
    Welcome, you will love it.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • I originally had the plate setter but then found the adjustable rig. I have since sold the setter and went the spider and stone route and an adjustable rig. More versital for me and you can add a cast iron grid to the spider for steak searing. I have a LBGE and have yet to truly need more space.
    ·
  • BtbeamBtbeam Posts: 25
    Any thoughts on the plate setter questions?
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,161
    I would call Tom at www.ceramicgrillstore.com and discuss what kind of cooks you want to do for your first experiences with the egg and go from there. He will tell you flat out if the plate setter is the way to go or to go with one of his products. He will not oversell you, but be honest with what you need to spend to make his creations do what you want them to do.

Good luck and welcome to the cult.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,036
    Btbeam said:
    Any thoughts on the plate setter questions?

What @Scottborasjr said.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,266
    That's a pretty good deal... Where at?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,689
    I also vote - no platesetter and get an adjustable rig with stone(s).  I have large platesetter that  I used once sitting in my shed. 

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
    I'd skip the plate setter and a get an adjustable rig or Woo set-up with a stone.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • erbloveerblove Posts: 83
    Great deal...welcome aboard
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
    ·
  • If buying a large & an AR, skip the platesetter. I have an XL & use my platesetter with my AR quite a bit.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • erbloveerblove Posts: 83
    Great deal...welcome aboard
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,556
    Welcome, great deal on the egg.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 600
    I would call Tom at www.ceramicgrillstore.com and discuss what kind of cooks you want to do for your first experiences with the egg and go from there. He will tell you flat out if the plate setter is the way to go or to go with one of his products. He will not oversell you, but be honest with what you need to spend to make his creations do what you want them to do.

+1

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,309

+2

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
    I have purchased the egg and I got the xl I think I will get the woo2 and stone instead of the plate setter. Is the adjustable rig that good to have considering the cooking surface is so large? Or if budget is a concern go with the woo2 setup.
    Thanks
    ·
    If budget is an issue, go Woo2 and stone.  If you run out of space, there are cheap ways to add a second level. 
    Besides, if you decide later to get the AR, by then it will be Xmas and you can get Santa to bring it.  ;)

Where did you buy? $699 for a large would be a good price around here.
    ·
  • Congratulations! Your cooking will never be the same. It will be better!

·
    Ragtop99 said:
    If budget is an issue, go Woo2 and stone.  If you run out of space, there are cheap ways to add a second level. 
    Besides, if you decide later to get the AR, by then it will be Xmas and you can get Santa to bring it.  ;)

Where did you buy? $699 for a large would be a good price around here.
    Modern propane in Lodi NJ the xl for 899 I got the last one but they have plenty of larges
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 484
    All those with an AR. You should put adj.rig. To me an AR is a nice rifle. Would like to have one but no where to shoot except at the gun shop.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 447
    Con grates!!!! 899 for xl?? I paid 1400 for large with ps, and bag of lump!!! Id go for the xl for that price!!!
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 447
    Btbeam said:

I have purchased the egg and I got the xl I think I will get the woo2 and stone instead of the plate setter. Is the adjustable rig that good to have considering the cooking surface is so large? Or if budget is a concern go with the woo2 setup.

Thanks
    What the woo2 and stone setup???
    ·
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 677
    Did you buy it finally? Come on and buy it already and spare us the suspense  :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • LeckyLecky Posts: 44
    I bought the large from modern propane for 699 also. Doug is a good guy. what's great is they have weekend warrior For 16.99. And all there prices on accessories are rock bottom. I also bought a broil king gas BBQ from them when I picked up the big green egg, what's sad is I never use the gas BBQ :-)
    ·
    Well I bought the xl and couldn't be happier with it I got it set up on Wednesday and have cooked on it every day since
    ·