Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cen-Tex brisket help

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
So I'm going to give another brisket shot been a while since I did the Travis method, and I'm seeing an awful lot of "thanks cen-tex" messages floating around so I think it's time to dive in. I think I can get a packer at GFS marketplace so I'm going that route assuming they have one. I'm trying Aaron franklin's equal parts salt and pepper, oak for smoke.

250-75 degrees ish?
Let it sit there untouched until around 190 before starting to check for the probe test?

Anything I got wrong here? Thanks for your input.
Dunedin, FL
·

Comments

• FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 589
    If I am not mistaken he uses #16 pepper, so if you don't have that use less regular grind pepper.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    That's a long FTC ride back home...
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    Firemanyz said:

If I am not mistaken he uses #16 pepper, so if you don't have that use less regular grind pepper.

I have fine ground malabar pepper from Costco that I'll use for bulk stuff. Usually I use fresh ground tellecherry. Fine ground work fine or should I grind myself some larger?
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Or do what Travis does and boil one :)) stay 250 or south if you have time. 275 won't hurt it. I use bad Byron's and like it way more than salt and pepper.

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,236
    Inject it with cow urine and then pour cold coffee on it. Perfect every time. Yes, been drinking again :ar!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,218
    Or do what Travis does and boil one :)) stay 250 or south if you have time. 275 won't hurt it. I use bad Byron's and like it way more than salt and pepper.
    I killed another...used Bad @#$%^&* Byron's this time....Sunday night...took it to work (14 pounds to start).  Inhaled by fellow workers and damn, it couldn't get better.  Now I have all these people asking me to cook them a brisket for their party.  Guess it coulda been worse ;)

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    edited August 2013
    Course ground pepper, kosher salt, 250-275, and oak chunks. Start checking for tenderness in the flat at 190...

Drink the cow urine on the rocks with a splash of Titos
    ·
    Chubbs said:

Inject it with cow urine and then pour cold coffee on it. Perfect every time. Yes, been drinking again :ar!

Cow urine? What are you drinking exactly?
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    yzzi said:

Chubbs said:

Cow urine? What are you drinking exactly?
    Whatever it is: it's likely at least 80 proof
    ·
  • White Russians?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Well, I went to GFS marketplace and picked up a 10 pound packer. Waiting on my hookup with the cow urine injection. Interested in how this turns out since the briskets aren't graded so I don't know if it's choice or select, but it's gotta be half way descent. No other places around my neck of the woods that sells a packer. We'll see...
    Dunedin, FL
    ·