Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BGE Fire Starter Cubes Can Be Broken Into Quarters

Hi All,

Had my Medium BGE for a few months now. Forgot how to use a microwave.

I want to share one discovery I mad regarding the BGE Fire Starter Cubes.
You can break each cube up into quarters. (This is best done with a sharp knife, since scissors will separate the layers in the cube.)
This works just as well as using a whole cube. The charcoal will light.

Now each box lasts me 4 times as long :) 
·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Try a MAPP torch...it is quicker & gets many months of lighting...a great tool to have...
    ·
  • GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 460
    YES Indeedy! I cut mine all into fourths and store in a Tupperware. 2 quarters strategically placed...mine only lasts twice as long though!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
    ·
  • gregk232gregk232 Posts: 11
    I use only one quarter placed in the middle, and put a few pieces of coal on top after lighting.

Also, I have ruled out a MAPP Torch or any other similar device. My Egg is sitting a rather small balcony on 3rd floor. Don't want to take any unnecessary risks.
    ·
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 366
    The Rutland squares (144/box) work well and are very cost effective.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,263
    I bought 3 boxes of the weber starter blocks. they light much faster than the BGE brand. And at US prices I cant wont complain.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Agree with @revolver.

The Rutland box is the way to go if you use starter cubes.
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 979
    weed burner,  or paper towel with olive oil,   I gave the paper towel trick to my buddy with a webber and he is now using lump.  best food he has ever had,  now when he gets an egg, he will be truley converted.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    I dont use them anymore, i use oil on a paper towel, or everytime i make bacon i soak up the grease with paper towel and in a sandwich bag into the freezer! Works great!
    :@)
    ·
  • you can also break them on the corner of a table or countertop if you don't want to use a knife. before I had the weed burner, I broke them in the 3-4 pcs and spread them out in a circle

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,008
    daffy1909 said:

I dont use them anymore, i use oil on a paper towel, or everytime i make bacon i soak up the grease with paper towel and in a sandwich bag into the freezer! Works great!
    :@)

That's a waste of great grease! Pour that into a mason jar and keep it in the fridge - use a spoonful or two when you start sautéing anything.

Same way I wouldn't use olive oil, too expensive. If I'm oiling the grates or using the oil soaked paper towel method I'll use the cheapest stuff I can get.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • LitLit Posts: 4,026
    Another for the Rutland cubes. All I have been using lately.
    ·
    Where do you find them?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
    ·
    Ahhhmazon! Shoulda known. Thank you LIT
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    I've settled on Weber cubes that I get when I pick up a load of mump at lal wart.
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    I just tear them in half, or quarters sometimes, and put them in at the compass points when I use them instead of the looftlighter...
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,331
    I ran out of BGE squares the other day and tried the canola oil soaked paper towel trick. I made a big batch of them for about a buck. I am keeping them in a tupperware container. Tried one on my last cook and it lit the fire faster and bigger. Never going back to cubes. Why not save $20 bucks and try this?
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 609
    I use the paper towel that I oil the grill with. I save them in a ziplock bag and use it the next time to start the fire.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·