Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Success!! Pics and a question...

Options
I did my first overnight cook last weekend.  Bought a 6 pound pork butt and let it go at 225 with some cherry and mesquite for about 10 hours.  I should begin by saying that it was incredible.  I had people over, and I made pulled pork sandwiches (see pics below).  The compliments were pretty lavish.  It turned out far better than I thought it would.  Rubbed the meat with Dizzy Dust prior to cooking, and served it on a bun with a slaw recipe I found on Naked Whiz (best slaw I've ever tasted actually).  Anyway, it was a resounding success; nonetheless, I do have a question.  I was having trouble dialing the temp in when I started.  I thought I had it stable at 225, but then it started dropping to around 200.  I compensated for the drop by opening the vent, but then it shot up to 250.  I finally got it back down to 225 and let it sit there for about 20 minutes before declaring it stable and going to bed.  When I woke up the next morning, the temp was at 300.  Like I said, the food still turned out spectacularly well, but I'm curious, is that kind of a temperature increase expected on an overnight cook?  If not, how do you avoid it?  Any help would be appreciated!

Southern California

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I find it very hard to maintain temps below 250 for a long time.  Usually drop out.  250 and higher it will lock in and stay there.

pork can take the higher temps.

Cook looks great BTW.

Garnerville, NY
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I find it very hard to maintain temps below 250 for a long time.  Usually drop out.  250 and higher it will lock in and stay there.

pork can take the higher temps.

Cook looks great BTW.
    So you find that the temps fall rather than rise if you've set it below 250?
    Southern California
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I avoid the flame-up or drop out with a digital controller.  Expensive way to go, sure, but I do get my sleep at night.  :)

Nice job with the butt!  I'd also recommend giving the injection/turbo method a shot.  No need to do anything overnight, and it comes out better than a low&slow in my opinion.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    buy yourself a DigiQ Dx2 and your trouble is over you can find then at WWW.firecraft.com 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

In an earlier thread about this subject, I recommended looking at a Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer.  A whole lot less than a temp controller.

Won't control the temp, but monitors that of food and cooking grid, and will beep you if it goes out of what you have set.  You can sleep.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    250-270 is much easier...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dont listen to @henappl... he is drunk... 252-272 is the best...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Actually they are both drunk...251-271 is perfect...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Chubbs... That was a left handed comment.... Get it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

As others said - Egg is much easier at 275 or so.   And with a butt you are fine at that temp in my opinion.

Not universally shared by all, but when cooking brisket I prefer the 220 range.   Takes a bit more work, the Maverick allows me to monitor and adjust occasionally if needed.

Any adjustment up or down is done by using the ash removal tool and gently tapping the lower door.   It does not take very much.

Cookin in Texas