Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

replacement spring assisted band and hinge

Hi all,

New to he forum but I've owned my egg for nearly 12 years now.  I love it.  Need some help on something.  I noticed on a rib cook this weekend that I couldn't get my temp down to 250.  I had to practically close the damper all the way and the daisy wheel on top of the egg just to keep it around 265.  Then I saw the problem!!!  Smoke seeping out of the sides.  When did this happen I thought ?  What I saw really pissed me off and that was around the back of the egg on both sides were gaps that stretched 7-8 inches between the dome and the base.  Not a big gap vertically.. but enough to keep my temps over 250.  Did it become warped ?  So now I'm doing some research and thinking I may need to replace the hinge and the bands and possibly the gasket.  Although, the gasket didn't appear to be burnt off and is still intact.  The hinge is old and rusted and the bands probably need replacing also.  Is there a way I can try to fix this before I spend more cash?  It's been so long since I've assembled it, that I've forgotten how.  Also, when you buy the spring assisted bands does it automatically come with a new hinge?  The pictures on Amazon just show the bands themselves. I hope this doesn't take long to fix as I have my new DigiQ DX2 coming this week and I don't think I can use it until this issue is corrected.

Any help eggers would be awesome.  If you have pictures or video links, please send along.  I'm hoping I can do this but just taking off the old hinge and warped bands and follow some videos to put the new ones on.  

Thanks again,

scarri3r

Comments

• Did you try loosening the bands and readjusting them to the lid and base? If not give it a try before you spend any cash.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get the new band its worth it. I messed one of mine up by over tightening it once and it was $99 for the whole assemble the new springs and everything. It takes like 30 minutes or less to swap them out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if you have the origional spring bands they were made in mexico and i bet they have all been replaced by now. the origional mexican bands  are easy to identify, the handle was welded to the band, not bolted like thaey are now. they came out just about 11/12 years ago and thats what eventually happened to mine, the back lifted and created a gap, they used to replace those free of charge but after 12 years of use i bet they dont do that anymore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Assembly is virtually the same for all size of eggs, although it can be slightly different depending on the egg size. Instructions are available on line. What size is your egg?
    Do you have a pic of the gap? Would be helpful. 
    The only replacement spring assisted bands I've seen a price for were for the XL, but maybe a local dealer can give you an idea of the BGE part cost, and if you're lucky, some good advice if the dealer knows their way around an egg. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • scarri3r
    scarri3r Posts: 29
    I have the large egg.  I tried adjusting last night and the dome almost fell off.  The bottom band was definitely loose but I think it's because it's warped.  It looked bent out of shape.  Again, the hinge was really rusty.  I'll invest in a cover this time to keep the assembly from getting this way but I think I will go ahead and get the new band and hinge.  I talked to someone at a grill repair and said that it was 18 years since they moved the manufacturing to Mexico so the large bands should still fit my large egg no problem.  I'll take a pic tonight once I get home but now it's really off it's tracks when I started to mess with it.  You will notice the bottom brace practically falling half way down the egg.  I'll have to get a buddy to come over and hold the dome so it doesn't fall off.  I can't get my dinosaur arms around it.

• Put some ties on to hold the hinge to keep the springs from opening when you loosen the bands.
  • scarri3r
    That's a great idea - almost forgot about that.  I don't have the originals but that will work from what I have heard.  Also, do I have to take off that dome to get the new bands on ( once assembled with the hinge )  ??? .. A guy at the Pinch a Penny store said he just slips them over.  I'm hoping I can do this job by myself without having someone help me move it off and on again.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if you have someone hold the dome open its pretty easy to pop the springs off, takes just a few seconds, then you dont have to worry about them. do check to see if the handle is welded to the band, those bands dont fix easily, it really is better to replace them with the newer usa bands
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • scarri3r
    gotcha.. yeah I just went out at lunch and bought the large assembly kit so I got the new bands and hinge.  I'll use zip ties to for the old hinge and take take the old set off.  I don't have anyone at the house to hold it or lift it off the base so I'm hoping I can just line up the dome without them and slip the new assembled bands and hinge over the egg once I do the preliminary assembly. 
  • scarri3r
    assembly successful...  pics attached
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I'm sure you know this but make sure you tighten the band bolts until they bend and after your first couple cooks tighten them a little more just for safety. The new bands will expand a little after a couple high heat cooks.

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    WOW looks like a new egg with plastic handle and all

Brampton, Ontario

• scarri3r
    Hi Lit - yes I realize I'll have re-tighten after a cook or two.  Thanks for the safety tip  :)>- !!  I also noticed that I have a extremely small gap which passed the $ bill test but failed the sheet of paper test because my gasket is worn.  I am going to cook on it first and see if it's going to pose a problem.  I can hardly see the gap unless I get put my eyeballs really close to see it but it's 100% improvement from the 1/4 inch gap I had prior to replacing.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's a bunch of eggers that don't use a gasket at all.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • scarri3r
    I would think that without a snug closing, temp controls might be hard to hit. Especially below 250.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I think if you passed the dollar bill test you'll be fine.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • scarri3r
    I'm not sure if I passed it correctly.   I didn't have a bill on me so I used a piece of paper.  There wasn't any drag yet very hard to see the gap.  My gasket is pretty worn ( 12 years ) at least so I think I will need to get it replaced.  That being said.  I did a pork butt cook this weekend and everything turned out great.  I was using the DigiQ DX2 however my grate temp was some 40 degrees higher than my dome temp.  I thought it would be the opposite.  Anyway, I switched the probe to the dome temp and all was pretty much dead on.  I used the fast and hot method. 325 until I reached 160 internal.  Foiled and cranked it up to 350.  Cut off the heat and glazed and let it dwell in the shell for an hour.  Total cook time was 6 hours plus 1 hour of resting ( 7 hours ).
    Pics attached.  I think the reason the grate was higher could be that the gaps are very close to the grate.  Then again, maybe it wasn't stabilized yet.  It was my first time cooking with the DigiQ and I had the dampers 1/2 a the daisy wheel nearly closed ( just a sliver ).  I figured since most recipes call for egg dome temp.. why not put the probe on the end of the thermometer.
    Any thoughts ?