It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
30 Minute Mozzarella
This is a summary of a recipe from a library book entitled Recipes For All Types Of Cheese
1 gallon whole milk that has not been ultra-pasteurized
¼ teaspoon liquid rennet (or ¼ rennet tablet) diluted in ¼ cup cool, unchlorinated water
1 teaspoon cheese salt (optional) BTW un-idolized Kosher salt is a fine substitute.
2 level teaspoons citric acid (powder)
1. Add citric acid to milk and mix thoroughly
2. heat the milk to 88° - I used my Thermapen
3. gently stir in the diluted rennet using an up and down motion and continue heating to 105°. Turn off heat and let curd set for a few minutes – I let it go for 4 minutes
4. The curds should look like thick yogurt. If the whey is still milky white instead of yellowish wait a few more minutes.
5. scoop out the curds with a slotted spoon into a 2 quart microwaveable bowl. Press the curds gently with your hands pouring off as much whey as possible. Reserve the whey.
6. microwave the curds for 1 minute on high. Drain off the whey and quickly work the hot cheese into a ball with a spoon or your hands using rubber gloves for protection.
7. microwave two more times for 35 seconds each time draining off the whey and working the cheese.
8. knead the cheese quickly like bread dough until it is smooth. Sprinkle on the salt if desired while kneading and stretching. When the cheese stretches like taffy it is done, but if the curds break you need to reheat them again.
9. when the cheese is smooth and shiny it is ready to eat. If you want to eat it later cover it and refrigerate.
Yield: ¾ to 1 pound
Use of the by product of whey is a whole other venture.
Recipe recap made by RRP.