Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Any musicians?

Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
Anybody here play? I love the guitar, but would say that my passion greatly exceeds my ability.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I am a drummer. Been playing drums all my life.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Yes, but not those silly git-ar thingies.  I play a manly instrument, the concertina.  You know, arrrrrr, like the pirates.

Could not find were I had filed pics of me playing, but the attached video is my 'tina being played by the builder.  This was taken before he shipped it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4IOTStb6eA

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I'm a player. Old rock 'n roller, now unplugged. Used to gig but not lately.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • eprice
    eprice Posts: 12
    Country, Old R&R    MartinHD35, Takamine, Ovation Guitars 
  • Cookinbob said:

I'm a player. Old rock 'n roller, now unplugged. Used to gig but not lately.

Quite a collection!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Anybody here play? I love the guitar, but would say that my passion greatly exceeds my ability.
    So well said - it is the best way to be, any hoppy or pursuit without passion is just another job. Over 50 years with guitar and still learning something all the time. Lately, open tuning makes it sound like the old fingers are really working. 
    Nice Les Paul, I'm partial to white/ivory. 
    @cookingbob - no 12 in that nice clutch of git-boxes....?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

Keyboardist here, also play harp, fiddle (which I inherited from my great grandfather) and toyed around on tenor sax the last couple years.  The last band I was in were together eight years, and my best friends; when two left the state (job transfers) I knew I'd never find another group like that, and "retired".  We actually played two shows for the 2002 Winter Olympics, that was a high!  
    I miss making people dance, and I miss my friends, but I don't miss moving a half-ton of equipment at 2 in the morning; it's a young man's game!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I strum and sing.  I'm a classically-trained singer, but I mostly sing bluegrass, folk, and traditional now.  I've been in a few bands (vox or rhythm guitar and vox), sometimes with original music, sometimes with cover songs.  For now, though, I just sing lullabies to my daughter.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Austin Egghead,  I visit a shop where they make custom dulcimers once in awhile, in Lynnville NC,  You like Irish Music?  My latest tune is Leaving Lerwick Harbour, which is in the Shetlands, but close enough.  One before that was Connemara by the Lake.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc, that is a custom Blanton.  Nick made for me 22 years ago and it is still playing like new.
    I will play anything but rap on it.  
    When we lived in DC area played open band for dancers on friday nite.  Depending on dancing group could be Appalachian, Swedish, Irish or Scottish.  Prefer to play celtic,  anything from US to the Hebrides, Brittany, Catalonia and Ireland. Very interested in Puirt a Beul music.  
    Right now learning Canan n'Gael, which would sound good on your instrument. (I use the long hours driving to listen to same song by many artist...trying to pick up the different nuances and ornamentations).

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    Lifetime guitar player. I still play Jazz guitar professionally. I come from a family of players, my Dad played into his 90's and my brother plays as well. I am lucky to have worked my entire life in the music business!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    LOL, if playing for pints counts, I'm a professional.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    LOL, if playing for pints counts, I'm a professional.
    It counts!

Cookinbob - is that an Evil Twin?  I have one of those..  

Guitar player here - electric and acoustic 6/12.  Mostly jam style, blue/newgrass, Americana, but also hard rock or whatever...  Mostly for myself these days with an occasional open mic.

Anyone wanna buy a PA?

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    This one time, at band camp..... I used to play the sax a very long time ago.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I used to work with a guy that played the skin flute. =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Acoustic guitar, drums, bass, degree in Music Education, live audio mixing and mastered a couple CDs......many hobbies, master of none. But I love to play on the back porch while I have something smoking in the egg.
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I play the Dobro, Saw and Bones. Heading to Le Mars, IA for a BIG Old Time Country and Bluegrass Festival on the 23rd. 600+ bands on 10 stages GREAT TIME

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I still play my Bach Stradivarius Trumpet, 1977 model, had it fully refurbished last year. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Music has always been a huge part of my life.  In fact, my mom and dad met in a country/western band called the Wranglers in the early 1970's.  Mom sang, and played bass.  My old man played the drums.  I played trap set and marched drumline through college at Nebraska.  I also play a little acoustic guitar, mainly when putting my kids to sleep.  Just last week, we signed up our 11 year old for electric guitar lessons.  He came back with a Squier and a tiny little amp.  I've listened to him play the riff from Seven Nation Army about 100 times a day.  Or as he calls it, "Salvation Army". 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    music is as essential to my life.....been a player since I was a kid and owned and operated a professional studio for many years.

I still write and record but mostly for myself these days.  I play several instruments but the guitar is my primary focus.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    here are some links to some of my original music.....some of it done by me and some of it done by me and a buddy of mine....hope you enjoy.

http://www.musicexe.com/sketches/

http://www.musicexe.com/wisdommp3.htm

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    I'm a closet bluegrass picker.  I've been playing banjo for about 7 years and guitar for about 2.  I bought a mandolin last Christmas but haven't really put any time into it.  Martin HD 28, Janish Walnut Picker, The Loar LM 600.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Before I moved to Nashville I said I "played" guitar... I drag a pick across the strings and some people can sing to it...but play, no... Much more passion than ability.
    Own a Banjo I want to learn to play.  Bucket list.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • I fancy myself a musician. Own a few different instruments but only gig as a bass player for beers. Mostly acoustic git-fiddle when at home.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • I fancy myself a musician. Own a few different instruments but only gig as a bass player for beers. Mostly acoustic git-fiddle when at home.

That's quite an outfit. Is that what you egg in too?? ;)
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Yep.  I play guitar.  My other favorite forum is thegearpage.
    Southern California
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I fancy myself a musician. Own a few different instruments but only gig as a bass player for beers. Mostly acoustic git-fiddle when at home.
    Gary, I didn't know you two had a band. does Ace slay it on guitar? Is he on the forum too?
    You gents can be the Ambiguously Green Egg Duo.
    That's quite an outfit. Is that what you egg in too?? ;)

It saves my arm hair when I forget to burp the egg.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW