Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chunk Question

Options
I know that after lighting the lump I need to let it sit for a while and burn off the last of the volatiles, but what about when adding wood chunks? How long should I wait after adding wood chunks to the already settled lump? Can I immediately add the food while the egg is full of dense white smoke, or should I wait until the white smoke is gone and then add the food?
LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Have you read through the other smoke posts on here? Particularly the, "Once You Get Clear Smoke" post by macboy. The answer to your question can be found. Good luck!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Like Chris Wang mentioned, this is currently being discussed in "Once You Get Clear Smoke".  The takeaway is that with wood chunks/chips you don't need to wait for clear smoke.  You can just throw the meat on right away, or you can add wood while the meat is already on the grill without worry.  The same is not true of charcoal.  
    Southern California