Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Recipe w/ dried tomatos

Sirtom
Sirtom Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,
Awhile back I tried a recipe for meatloaf that I found on the forum that contained dried tomatos and I think I got it from someone named Jim. Cooked it on our egg and my wife and I just loved it. I printed the recipe but it is nowhere to be found. I have seen other variations of meatloaf on the forum that I will be trying in the future. I was just hoping to get that particular one for our collection. thanks to everyone on this awesome forum!! Sirtom from Wisconsin

Comments

• sirtom,[p]I got this one from Wino last week and cooked it up. It was very tasty but had too much 'stuff' compared to meat and was very much falling apart, but everyone loved it. I doubled it and probably didn't follow proportions exactly, I don't know. You might just want to have some extra meat on hand in case.
    _______________________[p]Italian Meat Loaf with Fresh Basil and Provolone [p]1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 cup bread crumbs, seasoned
    3/4 cup finely chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/2 cup Provolone cheese, shredded
    2 large egg whites
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound ground round
    1/3 cup ketchup[p]Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain tomatoes; finely chop. [p]Combine 1/2 cup ketchup, breadcrumbs, and the next 6 ingredients (breadcrumbs through beef) in a large bowl. Add tomatoes to meat mixture. Shape meat mixture. Spread 1/3 cup ketchup over meat loaf. Egg at 350 degrees indirect for 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 160 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. [p]The only thing I did slightly different was the ketchup I used to spread on top was a 50/50 mixture of Ketchup and BBQ Sauce.
    ______________________[p]Good luck. I'm on a meatloaf kick recently, trying a new recipe every week. This is the one I made last night: The comments are from the person I got it from. And I used Pepperidge Farms seasoned bread crumbs intead of croutons. I followed her advice about the cumin and can see why she recommended cutting it in half. I cooked it in the oven this time.
    _____________________[p]This is the best meatloaf I've ever tried...its very moist and has so much flavor. The only thing I changed was I toned down the cumin in the glaze because it overpowered...just put 1/2 teaspoon.
    Good Eats Meat Loaf Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown [p][p]Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 25 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings
    User Rating: [p][p]
    6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 onion, roughly chopped
    1 carrot, peeled and broken
    3 whole cloves garlic
    1/2 red bell pepper
    18 ounces ground chuck
    18 ounces ground sirloin
    1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 egg
    For the glaze:
    1/2 cup catsup
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Dash Worcestershire sauce
    Dash hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon honey[p]
    Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
    In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat. [p]Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees. [p]Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.
    ___________________[p]Gwen[p]

• dimple'smom,
    thanks so much....the first one sounds like the one and I will try Alton's recipe....have a great weekend!