Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cowboy ribeye cook from Saturday.

Here is the cook from the Ribeye I snagged on special(Prime, Angus, 13.49/lb), reverse-sear style.

For my ribeye, I seasoned it with salt of the Kosher variety on Friday and put it in the fridge on a rack overnight. SWMBO's sister was coming over so I ran back out on Saturday and grabbed 2 Filets. I seasoned the Filets and let my friends chill on the counter for an hour while I got the Egg ready.

I also prepped some zucchini from the garden and butter potatoes. I put some salt and pepper on the zucchini and then tossed them with Wegmans Basting Oil(garlic-infused oil with herbs). For the potatoes, I tossed them with some S&P, fresh rosemary, cayenne and then cut up 3 Tbsp of butter into little cubes and scattered them on top of the potatoes.

Here is a close up of the taters:

These went on the grid extender underneath the steaks during the beginning of the reverse sear. Once the steaks hit temp, I pulled them and moved the zucchini to the top grid. I raised the temp on the Egg to 400 or so to finish them off while the steaks rested. 

I melted some butter with Cowlick seasoning for a basting sauce while the steaks seared. I made a "basting brush" out of fresh thyme and rosemary after seeing Adam Perry Lang do in his Serious Barbecue book on various cooks. The though is that the fat-soluble compounds in the herbs would infuse into the butter as it is heated from the steak. It works during the final rest with finishing butter, so I thought why not try it here?

Time to turn the Rockwood into lava wood:

Here are the steaks right before pulling. I flipped every 30 seconds and basted each time. SWMBO's sister is a very peculiar person who seems to like her steak well-done. This is why it's butterflied. I cooked to to 150 to somewhat start the conversion.

Plate shots. Everything turned out fantastic. The herb brush gave this awesome aroma to the steaks with a subtle flavor that played well with the potatoes.
My steak went a little north of medium rare but was still amazing. Next time I'll need to find a thicker one, it truly melts in your mouth. The bone weighed 5.5 ounces so the edible portion was just under a pound. I'll probably only snag these when on special.

·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    First time for the herb brush, bet that is tried again here.... Oh, and a nice cook man.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    The beer, man! You forgot to tell about the beer!!!

Awesome looking meal.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Most excellent! Wish that tomahawk was in my belly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    shtgunal3 said:
    The beer, man! You forgot to tell about the beer!!! Awesome looking meal.
    Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA. Piney and citrus-y, yum.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,666
    Fantastic cook, nice photos as well.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,007
    Well done!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,585
    edited August 2013
    I've read to salt beef before and not till cooking time. Any input? Does it pull moisture out?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    @henapple

I read this serious eats article on steak. Kenji explains it better that I can. I guess it helps when you go to MIT.
    ·
  • GoatseggGoatsegg Posts: 108
    Great looking meal!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • That steak looks super, all around good looking meal.
    ·
  • rabdoggrabdogg Posts: 43
    Love the Racer 5!
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Beautifully done!!!

Looks great!
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Its 0806 in the morning and I want steak, thanks, excellent cook
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia