Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hobo Dinner

Options

Growing up, my family would go camping quite a bit.  Hobo dinner was on the menu every trip.  A hobo dinner is individual servings of meat and vegetables wrapped in foil and cooked.  To keep everything from sticking to the foil, a couple of tablespoons of butter are included inside the foil pouch.  When you're camping, typically it's cooked in the coals of a campfire, but it can be cooked in the oven and of course an egg.   Just about any protein and vegetable can be cooked hobo style.  We used the same veggies (onion, red skin potatoes, zucchini, red bell pepper, carrot & garlic.  One version was ground beef seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning and the other version was Johnsonville Original Brats seasoned with Bone Sucking Sauce rub. 

Beef 

Brat 

I had trouble with using the flash with all the foil so I went without.  The photos aren't as nice as I like.  Thanks for looking!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks like a fun cook and meal. We had an ice storm here about 6yrs ago where the power was out for several days and we cooked a couple meals like that on the egg. The best one I called Hobo Stew which was all the veggies in the freezer that was thawing out thrown in the Dutch oven with tomato juice and a package of lil smokies. It was good.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Wow, that takes me back to scouts. I do not think anyone ever cooked one correctly back then, but there is a huge bit of nostalgia. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I remember doing that under a campfire several times when I was a kid. :) Looks great!
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Great Boy Scout recipe.  Nice comfort food. 
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I was never in scouts, but a good buddy was and introduced us to this technique on a camping trip. It was great then and I'm sure it would be now. Definitely a must do with the fam. Onions, mushrooms, corn, and potato for me!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I'm liking that!
    What did the hobo's use before aluminum foil?

That ? should open up a plethora of egghead humor.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Nice and easy! Gotta try that.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Reminds me of Camp WinShape in the 90s.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Have eaten this meal many times over the last 50 years. Thanks for sharing, brought back some great memories
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'm liking that! What did the hobo's use before aluminum foil? That ? should open up a plethora of egghead humor.
    Tin foil.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great camping meal, and brings up great memories!  Our family loved meals like this for dinner and paper bag bacon & eggs for breakfast.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Acn said:
    Great camping meal, and brings up great memories!  Our family loved meals like this for dinner and paper bag bacon & eggs for breakfast.  

Now that sounds intriguing.  How about some info on fixing paper bag B & E, please?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Acn said:

Now that sounds intriguing.  How about some info on fixing paper bag B & E, please?
    Sure - we'd use thick sliced bacon (don't know if it made any difference or not, but that was just generally what we usually had), and 1 slice and 1 egg per bag.  Basically, you just need hot, ashed over coals - no open flame though. Slice each bacon slice in half and put it in the bottom of a brown paper bag, doing your best to cover the entire bottom.  We would fold the top over 3-4 times and use a long, green stick to poke a hole it in; the same stick will be used to hold it over the coals.  Re-open the bag, reach in, and crack your egg over it (carefully as possible).  Then refold the top and put the back back on your stick and hold your bag as close to the hot coals as possible, without touching them.  They usually cooked for about 10 minutes; until the egg white is finished.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD