Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy ribeye cook from Saturday.

Options
Here is the cook from the Ribeye I snagged on special(Prime, Angus, 13.49/lb), reverse-sear style.

For my ribeye, I seasoned it with salt of the Kosher variety on Friday and put it in the fridge on a rack overnight. SWMBO's sister was coming over so I ran back out on Saturday and grabbed 2 Filets. I seasoned the Filets and let my friends chill on the counter for an hour while I got the Egg ready.

I also prepped some zucchini from the garden and butter potatoes. I put some salt and pepper on the zucchini and then tossed them with Wegmans Basting Oil(garlic-infused oil with herbs). For the potatoes, I tossed them with some S&P, fresh rosemary, cayenne and then cut up 3 Tbsp of butter into little cubes and scattered them on top of the potatoes.

Here is a close up of the taters:

These went on the grid extender underneath the steaks during the beginning of the reverse sear. Once the steaks hit temp, I pulled them and moved the zucchini to the top grid. I raised the temp on the Egg to 400 or so to finish them off while the steaks rested. 

I melted some butter with Cowlick seasoning for a basting sauce while the steaks seared. I made a "basting brush" out of fresh thyme and rosemary after seeing Adam Perry Lang do in his Serious Barbecue book on various cooks. The though is that the fat-soluble compounds in the herbs would infuse into the butter as it is heated from the steak. It works during the final rest with finishing butter, so I thought why not try it here?

Time to turn the Rockwood into lava wood:

Here are the steaks right before pulling. I flipped every 30 seconds and basted each time. SWMBO's sister is a very peculiar person who seems to like her steak well-done. This is why it's butterflied. I cooked to to 150 to somewhat start the conversion.

Plate shots. Everything turned out fantastic. The herb brush gave this awesome aroma to the steaks with a subtle flavor that played well with the potatoes.
My steak went a little north of medium rare but was still amazing. Next time I'll need to find a thicker one, it truly melts in your mouth. The bone weighed 5.5 ounces so the edible portion was just under a pound. I'll probably only snag these when on special.

Comments