Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bobby Flay

Options
Flay's southern bbq episode in his bbq addiction show had him cooking spare ribs on the egg. He put his water pan directly on the coals. Does anyone else do this? I always place mine on top of the plate setter.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No water pan here
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Mickey said:
    No water pan here

+1

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    I watch the show now and then and get frustrated when he puts everything on the gasser. Especially things I know would taste better on the egg.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I used water pans when I cooked on a Weber kettle. That rig needed it, the egg doesn't. Then again, he's an Iron Chef and I'm a caveman.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RichardBronosky
    RichardBronosky Posts: 213
    edited August 2013
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJ7nkslBv8&t=9m

At exactly 9 minutes in Alton says that propane is inappropriate for making BBQ because when propane burns it creates water vapor. The water vapor forms a protective barrier between the smoke and the meat. I'm going to take that to mean that a water pan is also a bad idea. I trust Alton Brown over Bobby Flay.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Bobby Flay doesn't know anything about cooking on an Egg. Or it doesn't come out on his show.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Options
    I put my pan on the plate setter. However, I typically substitute beer or wine for water. I think it adds a little something something!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've used a water pan on my plate setter before (with spacers underneath, but I've always poured the beer down my throat and filled the pan up with water. Never really noticed a difference with different liquids.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I have done it both ways numerous times, and I see zero reason to have a water pan. It has added no benefit on my cooks.

If I am doing a butt, I will add one simply to catch grease so I don't have 1 gallon of grease land in my egg. Other than that, I just put some foil on the ceramic.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I just feel that Bobby has to "appeal to the masses" on his show.  So when it comes to the egg, he has to use it in a way that the majority of viewers can relate to.  In otherwords, if 95% of viewers who watch that show would benefit from a water pan, then he will use a water pan regardless if the cooking vessel is an egg, a gasser or a hole in the ground.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    All of our smoked meats Ribs, Brisket and Pork are cooked with a drip pan full of liquid.  Different liquid for each, but a gallon per cook.   We do have success with this method,   Is it necessary...no.  Does it add to getting a better end product, I say yes.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    NDG said:

I just feel that Bobby has to "appeal to the masses" on his show.  So when it comes to the egg, he has to use it in a way that the majority of viewers can relate to.  In otherwords, if 95% of viewers who watch that show would benefit from a water pan, then he will use a water pan regardless if the cooking vessel is an egg, a gasser or a hole in the ground.

I've puzzled over why he does that and your theory makes the most sense.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I only use a pan to catch the dripping but I add water so they don't burn up. I was given a neat little thing that drains out the bottom to seperate the fat and drippings and then use the dripping to make a sauce.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Options
    I think that using a drip pan of liquid  for slow cooks adds to the amount of moisture that the egg absorbs...which leads to more sweating of nasty brown stuff on the outside of the egg during hot cooks.
    Chester County, PA
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    When I had a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker I understood the primary purpose of the water pan was to create a large thermal mass to help stabilize/hold temperature for low and slow cooks.  The egg doesn't need that.