Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen/cart/table Design

Options
2»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That might have worked.  HD does not carry it near me or the way their website looks not anymore.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm gonna wrap my small mind around this. I might have to drive up... Beers on you. I think $1800 is way too high of an estimate. Your only wanting a cabinet... Correct?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Just a nice cabinet to hold the egg junk and stuff with a nice counter top for prep/serving.  the Egg will remain on the nest with the mates.

I'll supply the beer and the other goods.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    First... Naturally check craigslist. Next, look for restaurant closing auctions. I found a $650 sink for $250 on CL. Aren't you in Virginia?
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I am in ny. What would a sink do? Do restaurants have outdoor cabinets?

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    Merely saying I found a great deal on commercial stuff on CL. Restaurants would have stainless steel cabinets.

A horizontal chest of drawers would work. Change the top out to tile with a granite cutting board. Find a stainless steel shop to make wraps for the doors... With a L or C lip to roll off water. Treat the wood... Maybe add a decorative back. Have the top hang over amap over the front. Towel rack, opener, hooks... Horizontal file cabinet maybe?
  • robnybbq
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Something like this may work if it had a waterproof top but I doubt it would last more than a year as its made of MDF board and any water that sits on it will make the veneer peel and the wood would disintegrate.

http://www.biglots.com/p/curved-door-kitchen-cart-with-granite-insert

Still looking.  Checked craigslist for restaurant supplies for cabinets/carts with no luck.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Let me try this idea.

Say I built a box out of 2x4's  5 feet long x 2 feet wide and 3 feet high

And I wanted to use exterior based siding (Its very thin).  Should I use a stronger plywood (1/2 inch or 3/8) underneath on the sides to make it more sturdy.  Possibly wrap in tyvex before adding the exterior siding?   The floor and top would be 3/4 plywood.

Just need to figure out how to make doors and drawers.  Any help on that would be great.  For the top I still do not know what to use.  Will just put a piece of 3/4 plywood on it for now that gives me a 2 inch lip all around and paint it for now I guess.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OEO1B8/ref=aw_2nd_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115

Found this on amazon. If you find a chester that is older, all wood, it could be treated to last outside.

Imho siding would look like a box but to each his own. Frame it, sheath with 3/4 cabinet grade plywood, stain and seal... Stainless doors would be easy to install. I'd say you could get by for under $800-1000. As for the corners stainless corners would match the doors.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Would plywood holdup even sealed in the weather?  Or is it every year sand, stain, seal.  Maybe cedar planks if I can find them?  Big Box stores dont sell them here but I will try a lumber yard in the morning.

Thought about the stainless doors again - that is still an option.  Also for the counter top I am thinking maybe a stainless steel over 3/4 plywood if I can find a sheet of stainless steel locally. Or go to a stone yard and look for remnants that are 5 feet long.  That might get expensive though.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Had a trip to the local lumber yard. Guys in the yard were great at showing me all types of wood and ideas. Looked at marine plywood, finished plywood, pressure treated lumber. And red cedar tongue and groove planks. This is what I am goin to go with.

Frame wi have PT 4x4's in the corners and 2x3 or 2x4's as the frame. The red cedar will be joined together and attached to the frame. Molding to hide he nails/screws. They lumber yard will even cut all my pieces for me so they are exactly the same. Will use the red cedar as the floor inside as well. Doors will be made out of the cut outs. Still researching how to fancy them up and what type of hinges.

Now I just need a top. We agreed that tile will not last with the cold/heat seasons and will crack eventually.

If I go with a quartz style top I will make the cabinet 60 inches by 22 inches to use a standard 24 top with a 1 inch lip a around. Thought about going to a stone/marble yard too see I they have any 5ft remnants as well. Stainless would be great but do not know any metal fabricators around here that would do that type of work. THe lumber yard did not know either.

So that's he plan for now.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    You can trim the doors with molding.. Picture frame style.
  • henapple
    Options
    maddaug said:

I  plan on using tile and have the same question on the tile. Also if using silicon for the adhesive, instead of mortar is ok to use. Your plans look great, where are you getting doors from?

If you use hardiboard under the tile everywhere and use a good epoxy grout. I've tiled fireplaces in the dead of winter... Heated during the day and freezing at night. We use a Meipe grout called kerapoxy 400...hard to work with but you have a small top. We apply it in 0 degree freezers and under ovens. I'd probably go with a solid top but it is possible to use tile. The wood expands but the hardiboard doesn't. Daltile carries it.. Special order. $100 pail.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    May have found a restaurant supply store that can order me a 60 in x 24 in kitchen prep table. I can have them order that and remove the legs and mount it to the cabinet.

Now the table top is exactly 60x24. I am guessing I want a lip around the cart to help keep the water out. Would making the cabinet 58x22 be the best way for this or smaller?

36 inches high (with wheels) should be right?

Also should I go with the 4 inch backsplash or just a flat top? The back of the cabinet will be up against the deck railing. Visible form the back.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    Sounds like a good top. I'd make the height comfortable to you. Anxious to see it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Have you thought about the deck box idea, like @AlohaCJS posted about? If you only need storage, it works pretty well. I use a cheaper Wal-Mart one currently since it is under the patio cover, but I will probably get the one in the link below soon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I did look at them.  I would like a prep/serving counter near the Egg (The mates are not big enough).  And I do not want to dig for stuff.  9 out of 10 times the grate/stone or whatever I am looking for will be buried under all the other stuff.  And when I am in a rush something will break.

The one Aloha showed looks nice - They dont carry that one around here and does nor solve the prep/serving table.  Also if thr Egg where downstairs on my stone patio level I would build a complete stone kitchen for it or be able to use dock boxes under my deck.  But since its up on the deck near the kitchen (works better than walking up and down the stairs with plates of food) I need an all in one cabinet - I think.

Garnerville, NY
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    On my cooking table / 2stone storage / egg nest, we made the cabinets from marine plywood and coated them with three coatings of sealer and then put the cedar on teh facades of the cabinets.  

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    AlohaCJS, Creative, affordable solution! I am off to HD to check out that box!
  • stripedegg
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I am going to build something very soon.  The gasser is going downstairs and out into the yard somewhere unless I just sell it.

In place I want to build sort of an Island that is 4-5 ft long x 2 ft wide. This will give me allot of prep space and allot of storage for all the Egg/serving  stuff.  I want to to last more than a few years.   It will have multiple cabinet doors/drawers.  I can get the stainless doors/drawers  online. 

My questions are for people that make things.  This is going on a second story deck and I want this thing movable (in case I need to paint/clean the deck/railing) and I am worried about weight.  I would put small casters on it.  I am looking into construction materials to build this myself (where I can).

For the outside I am thinking of the fake stone veneer - or real stone veneer if I can find it.  The fake stuff is very light.  I am not a detailed carpenter so my fine wood working skills would not work for molding and trim.

The top would be a piece of stone (I do not think granite as I want it durable and since it will be uncovered for the most part).  The top must be able to accommodate placing the hot grates/ceramic stones on it and must be easy to clean (grease).  So either a cut stone which will get very expensive like quartz or possible poor a concrete top and throw some colored dye/rocks/etc into it.  I am worried about the weight of the concrete.  I could also use a few layers of durock/waterproofing material and tile the top.  My concerns are can the tile hold a 200-600 ceramic stone without cracking?  Being I live in the northeast will the tile work from the hot humid summers to the cold winters and not crack and especially the grout lines?

My concerns are the framing.  Would wood 2x4's be too heavy and should I look at the metal studs?  But are they strong enough for a moving cart?  I would cover the frame/bottom in durock (cement board) and cutout the door/drawers holes.  The bottom would have a 3/4 plywood for support as well.   I would also have shelves inside possible made of durock or maybe even cheap painted plywood for shelves.

Any other ideas?  I want to start this maybe this weekend but I need to make sure my plan is good.
    Check out the 3 post I made of the 2 different tables that I built.  Both designs have been very functional and the end users were pleased.
    The Nest Whisperer
  • robnybbq
    Options
    What do you think of these plans/ideas?

I am still not sold on the doors.  The picture with stainless doors looks better in my mind as I know my trim skills stink.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Actually I think I overshot my idea. Home measuring on the deck while we can fit a 5ft long cart/table the deck gate will not be able to close. So scratch that idea. Plus I need it on wheels as the deck will need to be resealed/painted next year.

I don't know if a 3 ft cart would be enough for the egg stuff. This is dumb. With the gasser there areno problems with all the extras.

Very aggravating.

Garnerville, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    If you have only a circular saw, but have $800 or so to spend, buy yourself a small table saw, then build the cart using less expensive materials.  I used pressure treated pine for the frame on mine, and Cedar for the top and shelves.  Hand select your lumber so the boards are not warped.  Use stainless steel screws.  For the shelf that supports the egg, brace it well with 2X4s or better.  I built mine for about $300 in materials.  I added the third shelf to handle all my eggcessories.  Pizza stone, plate setter, second grate, rib rack, tools.  It is now full.  Note, the ceramic on the top shelf and under the egg allowed me to use my lumber efficiently.  Without them I would have had 3' of waste on every 8' board, and that is a lot of waste.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • robnybbq
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I really prefer a cabinet type table instead of open.  The Egg will not sit in the cart but next to it.  I do not want to look at the grates, stones, wok, etc in the open - I will look like a junk yard.  Either I have way too many eggcessories or people find other places to hide them.  Most tables I see look great but I do not see all the Eggcessories on them.  Plus having a greasy burnt grate or a ceramic stone out in the open getting wet wont make a mess of the wood? Plus the gloves, thermometers, getting wet out in the open.

And the map torch.  Dont want any kids getting to it.  If they see it they will play with it.  if its in a cabinet its out of the way.

Garnerville, NY
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    Have you considered reclaiming some lumber from local areas.  You may consider the pressure treated pine framing and look for some reclaimed wood to use as your exterior citing.  If you can reclaim some barn wood etc, the aged look can be very cool.  

I also might add, that if the design stage it too frustrating just buy something.  Post your needs on your local craigslist and see if anyone responds that they could build it for you.

Good luck
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    just a quick search for reclaimed wood cabinet and :

• robnybbq
    Options
    I think I can build a box.  Either coat it with Cedar planks or durock with stone veneer.

I can look for granite remnants cut to the size I need.  I can put a piece of plywood over the top and paint it for now.

My issue is doors and drawers.  I really would like some drawers to put small stuff like, temp probes, rubs (salt pepper), knives, gloves, etc.  The doors for cabinets for the stones, grates, etc. inside the cabinet doors I would put the grilling utensils.  if the cabinet/island were big enough we could store the outdoor use plates, cups, serving trays and some other cookware and I would be able to use my indoor kitchen cabinets to store the food saver and other small kitchen appliances that are now sitting on my living room floor. 

Right now my extra stones/pots are all over the kitchen floor, counters, and in a rubbermaid tub in the middle of my living room - stuff needs to find a permanent home out of sight.

I can buy stainless doors - $$$$$$$.  I can join cedar panels together and back them by another piece of cedar but I want a more finished look.  Putting molding on the outside of the doors may accomplish this but I doubt I can do that (Past experience trying to put molding around doors - can not get the cuts perfect).  I like the doors that are finished off with real edges (stile/rail) but I do not have the tools/knowledge to make them - and to find a solid piece of cedar for them.

Garnerville, NY