Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are water pans needed on the BGE?

Options
Is it really necessary use drip pans filled with water when smoking ribs on the BGE?

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    NO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference but, IMO, no they are not needed. You should, however, use and empty drip pan to keep drippings from hitting the platesetter and burning. You'll want to create some small separation between the platesetter and the drip pan. Some do this with balls of foil or with copper tubing (e.g., 90* ells).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    No
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I never put water in a drip pan.  I use it to help keep the platesetter clean and catch drippings for use in sauce.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    water pan = no,   pan to catch drippings = yes
    Cookin in Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    See "Bobby Flay" thread ----> but to answer your question, nope.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • scottc454
    Options
    I noticed a big improvement in ribs after I started using a water pan.  However, I am in CO and the air is thin and dry here.  

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No, when smoking ribs, if you are under 2000 ft above sea level (like most of us)
    Yes for some recipes that call for it or if you are at high altitude. For example, Italian beef (outside round) is well seasoned with sweet (sugar) and hot (pepper) and cooked over a broth bath (not really a drip pan) because you do not want bark to form. 
    @scottc454 - good point, at 5000 ft, water boils at a much lower temp (just over 200º as I recall) so you may dry out ribs if you don't foil or water pan them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Hey Skiddy how about that Italian beef recipe. Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I do... Probably just habit. Usually pour a two liter coke in. Necessary, no.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I too am in CO and find it to help sometimes but do not think it is necessary.  I use one about 50% of the time.  I usually fill it with beer though (crappy beer leftover from parties that people leave).  I don't know that the beer actually adds any flavor but psychologically I like it!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    My sense is that it's not necessary for most cooks as the BGE retains moisture quite well.  On the other hand, I don't see the harm in including a water pan.  Is it possible to have too much moisture?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Hey Skiddy how about that Italian beef recipe. Thanks.
    @JRWhitee - Here's where I started, makes a traditional style Chicago Italian beef. SWMBO likes a touch of sweetness so we add 1 Tbs of brown or turbinado sugar:
    For the giardiniera we like this one. Italian giardiniera uses peperoncini, but for us jalapenos are preferred and make a sangwitch with a bit more zip. Peperoncini available pickled (Costco) and can be just chopped and tossed in at the end if you go that route.

Serve the sangwitches with tater tots dusted with your favourite seasoning salt or rub. Use a chewy roll, like ciabatta. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @JRWhitee - Forgot to add, sammie pic. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thanks Skiddy, I made one a couple months ago but didn't care for the recipe. I can get Gonnella rolls and both hot and mild giardiniera at a Chicago sports deli here in Atlanta shipped from Chicago which are perfect for Italian beef. 

Johns Creek, Georgia