Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage/Jerky Rack~Design Help

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
67a3dc3f.jpg
<p />ChrisC had asked Sandbagger and myself about making a sausage rack earlier today. My reply to Chris is below. Here are two pictures showing my entire rack. I think it might be a good idea to get some input before making another one since I spent no time on planning this one. This design will hold 16-20 double links or 8 to 10 rings and breaks down for storage. Any comments are welcome.[p]~thirdeye~[p]dcf0e6cb.jpg[p]ChrisC,[p]This one was simple to build but ya know, I think the design is something that could be improved upon. I threw it all together in about 15 minutes with no real plan.[p]e5287606.jpg[p]You have to look close to notice but every connection point has an alligator clip on it. The materials are two U pieces, two side support pieces and one spacer on the top. Everything is held in place with a total of 10 aligator clips. I wanted something that would breakdown for storage, and this does work well for that. Maybe some joint input from what ClayQ called the "EEA" (Experimental Egg Association) is needed as far as any modifications. Like maybe a couple of free standing posts that would hold removable rails for hanging sausage & jerky? Later today I'll post a breakbown photograph and open up to the forum for suggestions.[p][p]
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    thirdeye, two rings, one to sit on the fire ring, the other at some predetermined height in the dome. To each ring weld four 1/8"x1" schedule 40 pipe to act as slots. The pipe's ID is 0.27". Next, cut four legs from 1/4" round bar to slide into the slots on each ring. You would need to weld a lower and upper stop on each leg to hold against the tube slots. Lastly, use bars across the upper ring to hold you links. That way you can remove or reposition stuff easily. [p]It all comes apart when not in use for easy clean up and storage. Just a thought. T

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]I'll add that idea to the list. Wait a minute...so far it IS the list. I'd have to get a stronger cheater for my hood in order to tackle the .068 wall. Are you doing that kind of work?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    thirdeye, You could weld the ends right on top or the rings. Use the ring to act as your stop. I get the tubing from a local plumbing supply store. [p]I'll only use the tubing to connect free pieces together: pieces with no specific dimensional measurement or requirement. The 0.25 round bar fits nicely in the tubing, but 0.02" doesn't leave much room for error. One whack, drop or bend of a fixed piece and you got problems aligning with the tubing. T

• aaron
    aaron Posts: 3
    Options
    This looks great what are the dimensions that you are using for your stainless steel tubing? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Where's Fred at???

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

This is a Zombie Thread.  RUN AWAY!!!! 

Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    =)) =))

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @aaron - this thread is from 2006 & I don't recognize the names. I wouldn't expect an answer anytime soon.

analyze adapt overcome