Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey Legs on the Mini

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,043
I love turkey legs off the mini coated with coffee rub. imageimage
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 758
    Where did you find a three legged turkey?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Those look great. It looks like you cook them direct, at what temp and about what time? I would guess 350 about 45 minutes?
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,043
    Mkline said:
    Those look great. It looks like you cook them direct, at what temp and about what time? I would guess 350 about 45 minutes?
    Raised on Mini Woo @ 400 to 185 about 45/50 min
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Perfect. Thank you, will try this out next weekend.
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    Cool Egg Carton. By the way, the coffee rub is delicious.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,426

@Mickey, what is the recipe for the coffee rub?

Thanks

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
    edited August 2013
    @jaydub58 John I just made a batch today. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. Note that brown sugar is whole part. image

·
  • Man, those look tasty!!!
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,426

@Mickey, that sounds just great!

I gotta whip up a batch now!

Thanks!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 948
    I love turkey legs at fairs etc but have cooked them...can you find them at regular grocery stores?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
    @CPARKTX Picked them up at HEB in Round Rock today. Also get this and use as a dipping sauce. image

·
  • Mmmmm. No brining needed?
    ·
  • John madden had 6 legged turkeys every year in Dallas. This is just 1/2 of John's turkey..
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
    ·
    Mmmmm. No brining needed?

I never brine legs or whole spatchcock turkeys. Only when just doing turkey breasts.

·