Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting an XL BGE

Options
I am curious as to how one, safely and conviently, transports their XL BGE. I have a pickup truck and ability to lift into bed of truck. Was curious if anybody has devised some 'nest' or device to allow for secure transport to a particular event.

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    I moved mine across town just taking it out of the nest. I put it in the bed of a truck and it didn't budge. I only moved it about 10 miles though. How far are you traveling?
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Tie it down like you would a motorcycle. All 4 corners and I would wrap a rope all the way around.  There is a picture here of an "upgrade" to the nest that adds bigger wheels and a more sturdy wheel base.  If I was going to be transporting my egg, I would upgrade the base. The nest is okay to for storing it in the garage when not in use and rolling it out to cook.  Just my free opinion.
  • bpoeppelman
    Options
    rholt said:

I moved mine across town just taking it out of the nest. I put it in the bed of a truck and it didn't budge. I only moved it about 10 miles though. How far are you traveling?

I could potentially move across town (10-15 min) to upwards of 5 hours away.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2013
    Options
    is this going to be more than once? (like bbq competition etc)... If so, I would definitely be going for the upgrade.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I took my XL to a competition right after I got it.  I took the guts out and strapped the egg into the corner of my pickup. I put some cushioning between the lid and base so they wouldn't vibrate/bang together.  No problems at all.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I know that there is a tailgate hook up rig for the XL, but it's over $1000. I forget who makes it. Might be worh it if you are going to moving your XL a lot. A ceramic cooker of that size isn't made to be moved a whole lot. Mine hasn't moved since I sat it in my grill cart. Probably wont move again until I retire and sell my house 30 years from now.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I load a small, 2large, and an xl in the bed of my truck when I go to competitions ( about once a month). Out of the nest flat on the floor. I have some memory foam around the front of the bed and around the xl. Larges in the corner and the xl in the middle. Small in the back seat. Rachet straped to the front corners.