Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock turkey refresh

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
I totally forget what I did with spatchcock turkey last time I made one. 400 raised direct for about an hour and a half (to temp of course) sound right enough? Got one brining today, will let dry out in fridge with some baking soda tomorrow.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    I would probably do that. Sounds like a winner. Post pics when done.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That's what I do. Toss on a couple of extra legs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    Got to use the ar for the first time to do direct raised. Used dizzy pig red eye. Turned out really good. It was a little dry by the time I ate it since we ate about an hour after it was finished, but good turkey nonetheless.

Plated with brussel sprouts and my favorite--carrot soufflé.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Here's a pic of the bird before being carved. Doing the other half tomorrow for dinner. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    That looks really good, thanks for posting. What did you think of the red eye with turkey? We used it on corn on the cob for the first time last night and it was surprisingly spot on. It was not or favorite on tri tip, but I'm finding it surprisingly versatile on non beef cooks.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • yzzi
    I liked it a lot. First time I used a pre made rub ever. I used a coffee one last thanksgiving and it's my go to now for poultry and even pork.
    Dunedin, FL
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    How big of bird can you get on a large?

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks terrific, yzzi!
  • Mickey
    edited August 2013
    rcone said:

I do lots of spatchcock turkeys and my recommendation is 11/13 lbs as they taste better (IMO). If more protein is needed just add a few extra legs or do a second turkey. Getting ready to toss 3 legs on the Mini in a few mins myself.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Mickey, thanks
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I'm going to fire my Mini too for what they call a Beef Filet of Shoulder.  Had them before and they are pretty good.  They work great on the Mini.  Love that little cooker.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Mickey
    revolver1 said:
    I'm going to fire my Mini too for what they call a Beef Filet of Shoulder.  Had them before and they are pretty good.  They work great on the Mini.  Love that little cooker.  

@revolver1 we all know the Mini is just a TOY =))

• yzzi
    Yeah I've become a believer in the 12 pounders. This was half of a 16 pound turkey. The other half is finishing up now. You can fit an 18 pounder if I remember correctly, but I like the smaller ones better. Easier to work with, cooks faster, and easier to do different flavors with separate birds.
    Dunedin, FL
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Mickey said:
    rcone said:

I do lots of spatchcock turkeys and my recommendation is 11/13 lbs as they taste better (IMO). If more protein is needed just add a few extra legs or do a second turkey. Getting ready to toss 3 legs on the Mini in a few mins myself.
    Is that because of the BGE size or just best eating bird? I have a XL and was gonna do a fresh Ham but running out of time...soooo Spatchcock boid..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• yzzi
    Best eating bird.
    Dunedin, FL
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    yzzi said:
    Best eating bird.
    so on my xl I imagine I can fit 2- 12#ers...sweet...less cook time a better eats...ID @ 350?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• yzzi
    I along with others here like doing raised direct around 425 degrees. Indirect is fine too.
    Dunedin, FL