Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noobie here...waiting on BGE

Options
Greetings all waiting on my new BGE and got chicken ready to cook...I got Wings, Thighs, Breast and Hot Dogs for my lil ones.  Any suggestion on a truly first timer cooking on the egg??  Like should I do one before the other, can I do all the chicken at one time, what would be a good temp, etc.

Early thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Spend a couple of hours just messinf w. the vents to learn how they control the temperature, and how long, or quickly the Egg temperature responds to vent changes.  Search for Grandpas Grub post on vent settings and temperature. Its a fine illustrated catalog of the approximate settings for various temperatures.

Check out the Naked Whiz's site on kamado and charcoal grilling. Look at his method for doing spatchcock'd (butterflied) chicken.

If you have prior experience w. metal cookers, you may need to forget most of that. Egg style cookers work a lot differently.

Typically, the kind of foods that are done on a metal grill, such as chicken pieces, burgers and brats, can be cooked in what is call the raised direct set up. Essentially, the grill raised to the felt line, and the meat directly exposed to the glowing coals. The dome temp can range from 350F to 450F. 450 makes for crispier chicken.

Don't forget to let the "bad" heavy white smoke clear (20 - 40 min.) before putting the food in. THesmoke should be light, almost invisible, and good smelling before the food is exposed to it.

• ZZNupe
    ZZNupe Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks gdenby...I could not find the post by Gandpa Grub and vent control but I will keep searching.  I am searching on how much charcoal I need to add to the XL BGE
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    Options

@ZZNupe ... this should help you out:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/x/p1

However, let me warn you ... in my opinion, this guide works best as the temp is heading upwards.  Should the fire get way too hot ... then it'll take a bit more shutting down and time to bring them back in line. 

Just take your time with it - and you should have no problems.

StlScott

• ZZNupe
    Options
    @StlScott...wow that really helped me a lot.  I guess I am a picture person because I understood that right away..now searching for Calibrate your dome thermometer...haha read one thing and have to read something else.  Thanks again!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It is common to load a full firebox, and start from there. For more grill like cooks, the distance from the top of the coal to the food is very importnat, not how much lump there is. The IR from the lump is very intense, way hotter than the gasses from a propane flame, but the intensity drops of rapidly w. distance. In the example I gave above, the raised direct method moves the meat far enough away from the lump that the heat most likely won't char the meat. At the lower setting, it is still possible, but more work, as the meat cooks a lot faster, and needs to be turned and flipped often.

Usually, most people fill their firebox, and at the next cook, stir the remanents, remove some ash from the bottom, and then top of the lump again. I can usually get 3 - 4 cooks before I need to scoop out the remanent, and do a full ash cleaning.

When you get to doing long lo-n-slo cooks, expect to do a full cleaning and add all fresh lump before firing up.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Boil water... Insert thermometer... Should be at 212. Use a wrench to adjust located on the back. A little at a time.

I'd fire up the egg and once lit close the lower vent to 1 inch and the dw to 1/3 open. Play around with the temp. Easy to go up.. Long time to work it down.

Welcome and be patient... Have a great time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ZZNupe
    Options
    Thanks for the insight folks...I am on my way..fired her up at 3 indirect and will go back at 5pm to check in.  Heapple thanks for the advice of being patient I guess I am just so ready to cook that I am impatient to the max.  I will screw up and then get better so thanks and I am looking forward to posting and using what I find here!!  Oh and I will let you know how it turns out..fingers crossed ;-)
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    Options

Something someone told me when I was first starting out that really helped was to watch the amount of firestarter I used.  Low and slow, just a part of a starter is all you need.  Too many, and taming the fire is darn near impossible. For a high heat cook, two starters - spread apart and over a good airflow, will get you a roaring blaze.

Enjoy that egg of yours...

StlScott