Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops, Shrimp, Andouille Etouffée.

Drewdlc17
Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
First scallops on the cast iron grates!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Wow. Looks like my kind of meal. More details on the Andouille Etouffée?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Chubs: 1/2 cup oil About 1/2 cup all-purpose flour maybe more for roux 1 large vidalia onion 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper 1 cup chopped celery 5 cloves garlic, finely minced 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more if you want it spicy 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning 1/2 cup minced green onions 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves A little hot sauce 1 can diced tomatoes Salt 2 pounds shrimp or crawfish tails or andouille or a combo of all 1/2 stick butter Diced green onions, for garnish Make the roux, mix oil and flour in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk flour into the oil to form a paste. Continue cooking over low heat and whisk continuously, until the mixture turns a caramel color about 15 to 20 minutes. To the roux, add the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic and cook over low heat about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are limp. Add the black pepper, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, green onions, parsley, and hot sauce to taste. Add 1 can tomatoes with their juice, stir to blend. Add the salt, starting with 1 teaspoon, then add more if needed. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add meat and cook accordingly. Remember shrimp and crawfish don't take long. If using sausage grill if before adding. Turn off and add butter. Server over rice and add green onions last.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks fabulous!
    Nolaegghead you should know all about some Étouffée. I'm sure you have a few tricks up your sleeve to amp it up.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Thanks Drew. Going to add this Into the rotation. Got 10 lbs skrimp in the freezer.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    Drewdlc17 said:
    Nolaegghead you should know all about some Étouffée. I'm sure you have a few tricks up your sleeve to amp it up.
    SWMBO is magical with her etouffees, so she's the chef most of the time with that.  I have a tendency to make it too spicy for the general population.

Just made a boat load of andouille...came out sommin good.
    Love that andouille.
    nolaegghead, what book or resource do you use to make yours?  And, is it typically much better than store bought?  Such, as other homemade charcuterie?
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • nolaegghead
    I use Ruhlman's Charcuterie book, but not for andouille.  My MO is to read recipes and techniques online and in books, learn the parameters and options while sticking to the general spirit of what I'm trying to make, then just make it up as I go.  Of course, for things like cure, I follow the guidelines.  But seasoning, meat choice, etc, I just go with what I think will work.

I had one batch of sausage that was on the salty side, but other than that, I think what you make is much better than what you can buy, unless you buy artisan meat products which cost a fortune. 
    Great looking cook!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE