Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using BGE XL Cast Iron Grates with Platesetter for Spare Ribs?

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Has anyone smoked spare ribs on the XL using the BGE cast iron grids (flat side )and the placesetter? Is there a difference in grill temp?

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    In my XL, no. Not sure how well those 2 halves sit on the PS legs. Perhaps you might have to set them on top of a one piece grid? I've done it in my L and didn't notice any difference in temps or end result. I know some folks who use their CI grids for everything in their L Eggs but the L CI is one piece.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have used that combo to smoke meatloaf.  It worked other than the instability of the CI grate as noted above.   Put the split on the grates directly over one leg of the platesetter and placed the meat closer to that point to avoid the grids being unstable.  Come to think of it, the last time I did this, I put the regular grate on and set the CI on top of it.  I like the CI for doing meatloaf without a pan for more even smoke flavor and the spacing on the CI doesn't allow the loaf to ooze down between the wire grids.  No adjustment needed on temp once it stabilizes.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Options
    I have an XL but I have always used the SS grill for low and slow cooks. I use the cast iron for higher heat cooks. Steals, chops and chicken. I got an XL adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store and that came with SS grill that gives you a ton of setup options. note:I consider myself a BGE novice, so some of the masters may have a different opinion.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I forgot about the instability issue on the XL platesetter. Looks like It will not work for indirect.