Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL Style Brisket - the good and the bad

Options
NJ_BBQ
NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Yesterday I cooked my first ever brisket following the APL Serious BBQ recipe and had mixed results. It was only a 7# whole brisket from the butcher.

The good - the flavor was outstanding and scoring the meat created more surface area and therefore more flavor. Also the BBQ sauce with the meat jiuces was equally outstanding.

The bad - it was a bit dry, not too dry to eat for dinner but certainly enough that the leftover will go to making hash & eggs this morning

So what did I learn

1 - buring oak is the best smell in world

2 - foiling wasn't enough to keep this moist, I'll try an injection next time

3 - scoring the meat works great to build the flavor of the bark

So what do I still need to learn

1 - still a newbie, need a routine as this is the second cook in a row where I forgot to add the wood before starting the meat so I had to unwind the grid and PS

2 - I'd welcome any suggestions for a brisket injection

3 - what is the coorect area of the brisket to take the temperature; using a thermapen I had readings of 186 in one area and 200 in another. I know the Travis brisket cooks to 205 but the APL recipe cooks to only 195. I opted to continue the cook unitl the lowest reading was 205 which could be another reason it was dry.

4 - this cooked at 275 and I cannot see how I could ever get the egg to a lower temp without extinguishing the coals. The bottom vent was only open the width of a quarter and daisy wheel had only the top holes open a slight bit

Knowledge comes with time and effort I guess.

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cook till tender... Period. I'm doing one today Centex style. Rub, oak, beer, wait till tender. Last time I cooked one I did place hdaf under the flat once I got near. Did you slice against the grain?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NJ_BBQ
    Options
    Yes, or at least I think so if the picture is any proof of that.
  • henapple
    Options
    I'm on my droid... Looks like it's with the grain. Sorry if I'm wrong.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    The general concensus as mentioned by @henapple is to cook til you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  Anywhere from 190 to the low 200's. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NJ_BBQ
    Options
    henapple said:

Believe me, I appreciate any and all feedback or clarifying questions
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    For an injection, try using a cup of beef broth with 1-2 tablespoons of Bragg's Liquid Aminos.  The liquid aminos tastes like a concentrated soy sauce and really enhances beef flavor. 

Also, I like using beef base as a slather for brisket to hold on the rub [Chris Lilly's technique].  It helps keep it most but more importantly, when you foil, you will get a luxurious au jus and au just can help hide a dry brisket if necessary. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NJ_BBQ said:
    henapple said:

Believe me, I appreciate any and all feedback or clarifying questions
    It's sliced correctly

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Options
    I'll shut up... I did find an Allegro brisket marinade I've never seen. I didn't use it... Centex threatened me.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'll shut up... I did find an Allegro brisket marinade I've never seen. I didn't use it... Centex threatened me.
    It was not a threat. it was a gentle reminder that you should always take your family's safety into consideration when cooking. We would all hate for bad things to happen. That is all.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would say best thing you can do is cook a whole brisket not just the flat. Much more forgiving that way. I have only cooked 1 flat ever than came out really good but packers usually come out atleast good.