Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

APL Style Brisket - the good and the bad

NJ_BBQNJ_BBQ Posts: 77
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Yesterday I cooked my first ever brisket following the APL Serious BBQ recipe and had mixed results. It was only a 7# whole brisket from the butcher.

The good - the flavor was outstanding and scoring the meat created more surface area and therefore more flavor. Also the BBQ sauce with the meat jiuces was equally outstanding.

The bad - it was a bit dry, not too dry to eat for dinner but certainly enough that the leftover will go to making hash & eggs this morning

So what did I learn

1 - buring oak is the best smell in world

2 - foiling wasn't enough to keep this moist, I'll try an injection next time

3 - scoring the meat works great to build the flavor of the bark

So what do I still need to learn

1 - still a newbie, need a routine as this is the second cook in a row where I forgot to add the wood before starting the meat so I had to unwind the grid and PS

2 - I'd welcome any suggestions for a brisket injection

3 - what is the coorect area of the brisket to take the temperature; using a thermapen I had readings of 186 in one area and 200 in another. I know the Travis brisket cooks to 205 but the APL recipe cooks to only 195. I opted to continue the cook unitl the lowest reading was 205 which could be another reason it was dry.

4 - this cooked at 275 and I cannot see how I could ever get the egg to a lower temp without extinguishing the coals. The bottom vent was only open the width of a quarter and daisy wheel had only the top holes open a slight bit

Knowledge comes with time and effort I guess.

Comments