Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru fan for controlling the heat ?

So what is the general opinion ?

Good or bad

I cooked a brisket last night and I have to say that this morning I have some break "beef chips" or as we say in the UK " beef crisps"

The thingw as burnt to a crisp but if sliced thin it made great appetisers

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I love mine- easy set and forget while you sleep
    Greensboro, NC
  • Thanks

Can I ask if it controls the top vent as well ?  I guess not.

So what do you do with that... leave it open ?
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Depending on temps- I leave a very small sliver open on the daisy wheel
    Greensboro, NC
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I don't use electric controllers but I don't have a problem with people who do.  I don't think it is "good or bad", I think it is just a personal choice.

However, I think anyone should learn proper fire control using their vents/dampers first before using electronics. 

Sorry to hear the brisket got burned, did the Egg temps just get away from you over night?   I try to set my overnight cooks where I have 2-3 hours to watch the Egg to make sure it is stable before going to bed. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • So what is the general opinion ?

Good or bad

I cooked a brisket last night and I have to say that this morning I have some break "beef chips" or as we say in the UK " beef crisps"

The thingw as burnt to a crisp but if sliced thin it made great appetisers

No more "good or bad" than automatic transmissions.  If you want or need the peace of mind that comes with automation, then good.  If you don't need it, then also good.

You essentially close the daisy wheel on the DFMT  and let the blower on the device force air into/out of the cooker as need to control the temperature.  If you go to my Products Review web page, you'll find reviews of all the major temperature controllers on the market.  They all work fine and it's just a matter of money, features, etc. as to which one anybody might prefer.

Good luck! 
    The Naked Whiz
  • I don't use electric controllers but I don't have a problem with people who do.  I don't think it is "good or bad", I think it is just a personal choice.

However, I think anyone should learn proper fire control using their vents/dampers first before using electronics. 

Sorry to hear the brisket got burned, did the Egg temps just get away from you over night?   I try to set my overnight cooks where I have 2-3 hours to watch the Egg to make sure it is stable before going to bed. 
    Very good advice. We had to smile when I opened the dome.... it was like a rock hard bone with a thin bit of unburnt meat in the middle... but boy was that meat tasty !
  • I may well get myself a guru but I think I will take the advice and get to learn hwo to do it manually first.

To answer one of the points raised I got the temperature right and checked that it stabilised before I went to bed.... but in the mean time had a few drinks and had a crisis of confidence.... so at around midnight I got up and opened the vent a little !!!

Just a thought, to avoid poisoning anyone what temp does it have to get to ?

My thinking is that you need to get the the "kill all germs" point and then slow and low afterwards... is that correct
  • I may well get myself a guru but I think I will take the advice and get to learn hwo to do it manually first.

To answer one of the points raised I got the temperature right and checked that it stabilised before I went to bed.... but in the mean time had a few drinks and had a crisis of confidence.... so at around midnight I got up and opened the vent a little !!!

My thinking is that you need to get the the "kill all germs" point and then slow and low afterwards... is that correct
    Not correct. The internal temperature of the cooked meat will kill any bacteria during the slow and low procedure, that is why it is more important to cook meat to internal temperature instead of time.
    As a newbie, I am learning more everyday on this forum. So before you buy a temp controller, invest in a good meat themometer - I uise a Maverick so I don't have to keep opening the dome to check the meat temperature all the time - essential for low and slows.
    Eventually got partyq to control temp inside egg.
    Keep on experimenting and enjoy the journey!
    :)

Assuming you are cooking  a "whole" piece of meat that hasn't been penetrated by knives or probes covered with bacteria, you have to get the outside surface of the meat to 140 within 4 hours or so.  That should happen pretty darn quickly, though, since you are putting it into a cooker filled with air at 225 or 250 degrees.  So, not to worry.  Just get the cooker stable with your meat inside of it and then let the magic happen.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Maybe more important than a temp controller, you might look into a Maverick ET-732 or some such temp monitor.  The Mav will monitor the range of cooking grid temp and the meat temp separately.  Very cool, get everything set and hit the sack with the receiver on your night stand.   Any problems arise during the night, it beeps you so you can react.  

Big help.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013
    Well, with a temp controller, there are no problems during the night, so no need to react. :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I use a Cyber Q WIFI and love it. I have put a butt on at 3AM went to work(SWMBO at home but wont touch the Egg) and come home after work and had pulled pork. All the watching of temps and controlling the cook with my cell phone. Gotta love it :)

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• scarri3r
    scarri3r Posts: 29
    I've had my egg for 12 years and trust me the guru is a dream come true.. I hate going outside every 20 minutes ago to check on the temp on a cook that's 2 hours or more.  The guru solves that problem for me now.  It's great to learn how to use the dampers and everyone should but now I wish I had been using the guru since day 1...especially when its high 90's in the Florida heat.  Get me back in the AC please and let the guru keep the eye on the temp.  By the way, I don't use the guru for temps over 400 or above.  Just for my longer lower temp cooks.
  • I have decided to join the controller group also for overnight cooks.   Read all the Naked Whiz reviews.  I like the bells and whistles, internet connectivity, etc, of high end models, but in the end decided to go lower price and went with basic Auber controller.  Will break it in Labor Day weekend with some college football pulled pork lo and slo.

I also have a bigger pulled pork cook coming up (about 80 people for a couples wedding shower), and decided I would like peace of mind from a controller for that large cook. 

• I think it is a sure fired thing that I will buy one

Thanks to you all. especially Naked Whizz.... what a site and what a superb bit of work

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    If you want an iQue 110 or 120, just let me know.....I'll cut you (or anyone on this forum a good deal on them w/ free shipping.)