Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another first - Brisket!

Options
24 hours marinating in the fridge - on the Egg @ 250 at the grill.
Going till 160 internal temperature, then wrapping in foil with beef broth till 205, remove and FTC.
No fixed time to eat, just cooking until it is done.
Luvin Egg livin! :)

Pic is sideways.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    good luck, great start to a Saturday.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Thank you - love the smell of bbq in the morning! ;)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks good! Where did you purchase your brisket?

paqman said:

Thank you. Brian's Butcher and Deli, pass Ikea in the back. Awesome customer service, prices and meat.
  • paqman
    Options

paqman said:

Thank you. Brian's Butcher and Deli, pass Ikea in the back. Awesome customer service, prices and meat.
    Did you have to place a special order?

I called a couple days in advance just to make sure they would have when I picked it up last week Friday.
    Kept in fridge for a week to give it extra aging.
    Question - I am at 150 internal temperature already after just under 2 hours - should I still foil? Doesn't seem like it is hitting the stall.
  • paqman
    Options
    It will... be patient :)

Not the greatest pics but the finished brisket was extraterrestrial! - "Out of this world"
    Was done @ 4:30 ftc for 2 hours, sliced and served - daughter and her friends were blown away.
    Will have to do this again in a couple weeks.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    oh hell yes.Very nice.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited August 2013
    Options
    you are 98/100ths of the way there. next time try a little bit thinner slices of the flat (maybe half as thick as these). That MAY (hard to improve on what you did today) but MAY get you to the etherial bite of brisket flat we all chase. that looks amazing
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options

you are 98/100ths of the way there. next time try a little bit thinner slices of the flat (maybe half as thick as these). That MAY (hard to improve on what you did today) but MAY get you to the etherial bite of brisket flat we all chase. that looks amazing

Thank you!
    I will - I thought I had read that pencil size slices were prefered. It was all devoured at any rate :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you! I will - I thought I had read that pencil size slices were prefered. It was all devoured at any rate :)

That is a common saying. We do cut the point that big (like yours) down here but the flat is usaully around half that thick. Just throwing it out there. I would have devoured all of those slices so don't sweat it. maybe try it a little thinner in the flat on a few slices and see how you like it.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Aahhh, ok, the point is thick, flat thin.
    Will do :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Aahhh, ok, the point is thick, flat thin. Will do :)

Nothing is law- just see if you like it that way. i personally would cut the flat a little thinner and cut the point exactly as you cut that flat. Just throwing it out there.....as a guy who is a wee bit obsessed with brisket :))
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    After today, I can fully understand your obsession - there are so many variables, from the "cut" of meat, the type of rub, wood, time etc. I sometimes think I will never graduate from being a newbie! :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    After today, I can fully understand your obsession - there are so many variables, from the "cut" of meat, the type of rub, wood, time etc. I sometimes think I will never graduate from being a newbie! :)

I hear you. Every time I feel like I'm the man...........I get a little refresher course :))
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Nice to hear that you experienced Eggers still face challenges - I guess that keeps things fresh :)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Nice work Trini! As you said, lot's of variables and nailing it like you did is worth dealing with them all!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great job! I did my first brisket yesterday as well and can't stop thinking of what I'll do differently for the next one.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I will definately be using normal black pepper - the next day it is still dominant. Not unpleasant, but takes a bit away from the smoke.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Looks awesome! Curious, what did you marinate the brisket in, before cooking? 
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    FLbobecu said:

Looks awesome! Curious, what did you marinate the brisket in, before cooking? 

Thanks much. Black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili and paprika - rubbed with vegetable oil, then put on brisket overnight in fridge.
    I followed the recipe from "Amazing Ribs.com" basically.