Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Firebox

Options
I planned to smoke a Boston Butt on Sunday. When I cleaned my Egg out I discovered that the firebox was broken into 3 pieces. It can easily be fitted back together. Is it possible to glue/cement it back together and have it hold with the intense heat it will be subject to? If so, what do I use? Can use your help and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Yup... I've heard of people using JB Weld
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Others have reported just using it as is, ie putting the pieces together (no glue) and just letting the weight of the fire ring hold it together. Should work fine while you await your warranty replacement.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Duff
    Duff Posts: 5
    Options
    My Green Egg is probably 10 years old. Would it still be covered under warranty?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
    If you are the original owner, registered it, bought from a BGE dealer, you're golden....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mine is in 3 pieces and the top half comes clean off. ive had the new in the box warranty replacement in my garage for a year. you are fine to cook with it as long as you want and its covered under warranty for life. it makes no difference how many pieces it's in as long as you can reasonably fit it back together. I know Stike's was like a game of tetris and i think naked Whiz said his is in pieces too. Don't sweat it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Duff said:
    I planned to smoke a Boston Butt on Sunday. When I cleaned my Egg out I discovered that the firebox was broken into 3 pieces. It can easily be fitted back together. Is it possible to glue/cement it back together and have it hold with the intense heat it will be subject to? If so, what do I use? Can use your help and thanks in advance.
    Duff, my firebox broke into four pieces about 11 years ago.  I'm still using it.  No need to glue it.  You can get it replaced under warranty if you are the original purchaser and if you have a receipt or registered your cook or have a dealer like mine who can look up every purchase since the dawn of time.
    The Naked Whiz
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I wouldn't glue it due to the fumes it will give off. If the pieces stay together just cook on it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Duff
    Duff Posts: 5
    Options
    I may be out of luck. I won the Egg in a raffle at a sanctioned KCBS sanctioned contest in Shannon, Illinois about 8 to 10 years ago. No receipt. No registration, but original owner. If I have to pay for the firebox, so be it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Duff said:
    I may be out of luck. I won the Egg in a raffle at a sanctioned KCBS sanctioned contest in Shannon, Illinois about 8 to 10 years ago. No receipt. No registration, but original owner. If I have to pay for the firebox, so be it.
    In that case, if they won't replace it under warranty, I wouldn't bother.  Once the firebox breaks into pieces, it most likely won't break any further.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I agree with Whiz. No need to replace unless you really want to for some reason. Like I said, mines in 3 pcs and I've had a new one in the box for a year. The cracked one works just fine so I'll save the other for a rainy day. Maybe I'll have a rebuild project in the future or something.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    My Lg and Mini both have cracks but not seperated yet, been that way for a long time.   
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Options
    Green Egg should cover it still. Go to a dealer and they can fill out a warranty form. You will need pictures of your fire box. They should replace it.