Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie question "direct cooking heights"

I'm new to BGE cooking (only cooked twice) and I'm not using the right terminology so the search isn't bringing anything up... I'm planning on doing a direct pork loin tomorrow and see everyone cooking them raised but I don't have that accessory yet... If I cook with the porcelain grate at "standard" height (using dome temp); what do I need to do with my temp and time as compared to those cooking direct but raised? Just looking for a little guidance from the experts Thanks

LBGE

BTFU!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    To get raised direct, you can use some aluminum cans on the fire ring or even bricks. If this is unavailable, cook at 350 and flip every 5 minutes until an internal temp of 135. A pork loin should rise about 10 degrees during the rest.
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    I do a reverse sear with the pork loins that I cook. Have a plate setter?
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2013
    @Hankyorke - if you have time you could go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a weber grid and some 4-5" bolts and make yourself a raised grid very easily for around $25 or so Here is what I used before the PSwoo3 and still use when I want multi levels of cooking. image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Cajunduck - no plate setter yet... Mattman - that'll work! Thanks. What is your bottom grid sitting on? Currently my one and only is just on the fire ring and I'm struggling with over cooking.... Thanks guys!

LBGE

BTFU!

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I do raised by using three bricks - you could probably use two - set them on their sides on the fire ring and put the grill on top
  • Mattman3969
    The bottom grid is sitting on the Woo. For your cook put your original grid on your fire ring then the homemade grid on top of that. That will get you to the felt line which is cool for raised direct.

The pic above actually shows how I cook multi level. Your new rig will be sitting where my lower grid is in the pic

analyze adapt overcome

• Hankyorke
    10-4 I appreciate the help guys!

LBGE

BTFU!

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I have two Eggs, been loving them for several years, now, but let me ask the even more newbie question:  How important is it, really, to raise the grid?  Like most guys, I like accessorizing my stuff, but I'm so happy cooking on my Eggs they way they were designed that I just haven't felt enough need to raise the grid that I've gone to the trouble (or the expense of the "cooler" methods).

So, for a guy who's never done it, what's the big advantage of raising the grid?

Thanks!

Theo
  • Mattman3969
    edited August 2013
    @Theophan - for me I like that I can do a spatched chicken or wing and get crazy crispy skin and not have to be constantly flipping to ensure no burning. Same goes for pork loins or hamburgers Hotter & Faster with less chance of burning. Basically unless I am searing I am raised direct I am sure someone else can explain better but the above is why I like it

analyze adapt overcome

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Mattman3969 hits the target.  It's all about distance from the burning lump and more reflective heat from the dome.  I like the regular grid position for very hot and fast cooks where searing is the primary objective.  Beyond that-raised for me.  FWIW.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hankyorke
    Mattman3969's raised grid worked great for me. I bought a weber 17" grid, 4 stainless .5"x4" carriage bolts and 8 stainless nuts. Raised cooking @ gasket height for $26... First official success on the LBGE, whole whole pork loin turn out great.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Well, I may have to break down and give it a try, one of these days.  I don't know why I have been so resistant to the idea.  I just have been so happy with everything I've cooked that I haven't felt like there was any need to mess with it.

Now I guess I need to think some more about whether to try the home-made solutions I've seen, vs. the Woo2 thing that I've heard people say is expensive but really great.  (I use my Medium so much more than my Large that I think I'll try this first on the Medium.)

Thanks for the replies!

Theo
  • Mattman3969
    Hankyorke said:
    Mattman3969's raised grid worked great for me. I bought a weber 17" grid, 4 stainless .5"x4" carriage bolts and 8 stainless nuts. Raised cooking @ gasket height for $26... First official success on the LBGE, whole whole pork loin turn out great.

Glad it worked out for you. I can't take credit for the idea as someone here shared the idea and I jumped on it just like you. Any pics of the loin?

analyze adapt overcome

• Congrats and welcome Hankyorke, this forum is a wealth of information with TONs of people willingly providing direction and solutions. Take it from a fellow newbie, there are no dumb questions, so keep asking away and learning.
    Enjoy!
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke said:

Glad it worked out for you. I can't take credit for the idea as someone here shared the idea and I jumped on it just like you. Any pics of the loin?

Nope didn't even think about it until it was too late. Next time I'll do a reverse sear to let the sugar carmelize, then it'll be photo worthy.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Mattman3969
    Can't wait!! Reverse sear will be so easy with your new rig and no hot plate setter to deal with.

analyze adapt overcome