Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza

Thanks in advance for any help!! I am going to attempt to make pizza on the egg tonight. My wife always makes restaurant quality, home made dough. Typically, what temp do you cook at and for how long? I have the pizza brick. Was planning on using the place setter and putting the brick in top of that to get it higher in the done. Is that a good idea? Thanks again!!!
·

Comments

• MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 125
    My pizza set up is plate setter legs up, regular grid, extender grid and then the pizza stone to get the stone higher up in the dome.  I typically shoot for 550* for NY style pies; for deep dish usually go around 425-450*.  However, different dough formulas do better at different temperatures - sugar or oil in the dough can burn at higher temps.  Good luck.
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
    ·
  • Thanks Mo Eggin!! If I don't have the extender, an I use bricks? Also, how long would you cook it at for normal crust? Thanks
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,108
    edited August 2013
    Different doughs cook better at different temperatures. If you have used this dough in your oven with success then around 500 on your egg should be good. I make a NY style dough using  00 flour and 600 to 650 works for me on the egg.

As for your set up at the very least have some kind of air gap between your stone and plate setter. I used to use an extra set of feet to do this.

I like getting the pizza up high in the egg as the toppings seems to cook better that way. I got the oval stone to go with my adjustable rig. Now I use that as a heat deflector with the BGE stone on top of the adjustable rig.

Good luck and post some pictures when your done.
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 593

Here is a link to a good sauce. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153432/homemade-pizza-sauce

I have been using Sam's version and it is working well for me.  I go 500 - 600 on the temp - Legs down with bricks and a stone on top to get high in the dome.  Here is a picture of my set-up. I use the parchment paper trick to transfer from the peel to the stone. Good Luck and post some pics.

021.jpg 2.4M
    023.jpg 2.2M
    Milton, GA.
    ·
    PS.  Need the dough recipe.....
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • Thanks for all the advice!!
    ·
  • Flynnbob: go to www.laurenslatest.com/fail-proof-pizza-dough. It is great!!
    ·
    Flynnbob: go to www.laurenslatest.com/fail-proof-pizza-dough. It is great!!
    You got it -Thanks - Doing Pizza tonight - Publix dough though ....
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • Flynnbob: this pizza was awesome!! Loved the smokey flavor!!
    image.jpg 1.9M
    ·
  • So what temp did you end up cooking at?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • It cooked at 600 degrees.
    ·
  • It cooked at 600 degrees.

Looks great!
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
    Great job @CharlestonGriller! ; I made three last night - Everyone has their own preference so I make one for each and enjoy the leftovers.  I will give your dough recipe a shot when I have some time and let you know how it works for me.
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,108

Looks like a winner. I'll add that to my collection of dough recipes.

This what I have been using:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

·