Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 pounds of pork butt

My BIL and his family are coming for a week of holidays, and our kids and grandkids are also joining us so we picked up 3 x 8 pound bone in butts from our local butcher shop, when SWMBO went to pick them up, the butcher came out with the goods, smiling and saying "that is a lot of meat" We have a pretty good repour with him, and the comment from my wife was " He is going to have fun with this". So tonight I placed them on the large egg to check with how much room I do or don't have. will use the PS legs up, and will find some AF pan of some sort to hold some water. Two butts on the main grill and then the last one on the group buy extender grill. It sure does fill up the egg, will need to move the thermometer out of the way. Question I am prepping for about 16 -18 hours, what to have it ready by 4 pm on Sunday, so am thinking about getting the egg warmed up tomorrow night around 9 and have it settled in by 10 and then I would have a few hours grace to either TFC or carry on cooking if the stall is a little longer. The two butts on the bottom will be touching each other. I have seen other threads that is doesn't matter, so I am running with that, if I am out to lunch with any of my thoughts here, chime in please, first time doing some much meat at one time. And I certainly don't want to ruin anything, Wish me luck I can hardly wait. I will post pics as it progresses. Going to a fun time grilling and also visiting with all the gang. Going to prep this puppies tonight with mustard and rub and then into the fridge.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    here they are. 24 hours from now, they will be inside the egg.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Sounds like you'll have a great time! What temp do plan on cooking at and do you plan on wrapping with foil to finish? Those would be the other variables needed to best evaluate your game plan.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • smokesniffer
    OK I am thinking about 250-275 and not foiling to finish, will use a probe in one of the butts, plan is to get them to about 202
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    At that temp range I'd be surprised if your cook takes more than 12-14 hours. If I were in your shoes and cooking at that temp, I'd probably light the Egg at 11 PM and get the butts on at Midnight. Just my opinion.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • smokesniffer
    So I should not be thinking 24 pounds, more like just doing a single 7-8 pounder??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    Cooking 3 shouldn't take much longer than cooking 1. I'd plan cooking time around the largest butt and add 1 hr to account for the extra cold mass and likely slightly longer time for the cook temp to climb back up to target.

Bay Area, CA