Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook, vote now...!

Options
SCalHotRod
SCalHotRod Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks,

I'm preparing to do my first cook and I'd like to get your input.

I have my Large BGE all sitting in a Compact Table, have my daisy wheel top, a gas starter, and a bag of Wicked Good charcoal.

PLUS, I have a set of Lawn Ranger tools on order and a ThermaPen...

BUT... My big dilema is WHAT to cook the first time out.

Since I like things that are a little unusual, I was thinking about ostrich and/or buffalo steaks, both of which I have easy access.

I would like to do a whole meal on my EGG, so any ideas...?

Chris
Santa Clara, CA
I am the co-founder of the San Francisco Bay Area Eggfest and I operate the Fred Tri-tip roast Facebook page for Schaub's Meat Market.

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Hey "Hot Rod",

What about some "pulled buffalo" with some spicy mango sauce topped with a red slaw? Then call me and I'll be right over...LOL.

I've often found the "leaner" meats are harder to grill, I believe you need that fat for flavor.

Let us know how it turned out.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Greendriver
    Options
    My advice would be to SLOW down and take a deep breath and do a few steaks...550 or so on the regular grid for about 8 min per side for med or if you got the Thermopen 135 for med rare and let rest at least 10 min.
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    How about a spatchcocked chicken and some smoked baked potatoes?

Ryan
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    the group is telling you right.
    do some steaks, chicken, pork loin which is all almost bullet proof on the egg. once you have the feel for the temp control, all the exotic stuff will be comprable to something you cooked and will have a good guideline to go by.
    billyg