Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK so I've got 3 9lb butts on my large...

the top one is touching the top of the dome, not so much it keeps it from closing but I still feel a small resistance just before the lid closes all the way.  How will this affect the cook?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    If it is restricting airflow that would be a problem.

What if you trade places with one of the lower level butts?  better fit?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks like you are early in the cook as long as you can keep the fire going for the first few hrs you should be ok cause it will shrink in size as it cooks

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Looks like you are early in the cook as long as you can keep the fire going for the first few hrs you should be ok cause it will shrink in size as it cooks
    that is what I was thinking, looks like its going to be ok.  maintaining temp well after 30 minutes so far.  I tried rearranging but to no avail, just to greedy trying to get three big boys in there at once I guess.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    so how did it turn out??? Let us know, I am doing the same thing tomorrow night, would love to hear how it went.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Guess my question is a bit premature, sorry, but do tell, OK.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    holding steady at 244 a little over 2 hours in.  104 internal temp on one of the lower butts
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I've have had this on one of mine too. I put them on 1level by setting them on the bone side and tipping against eachother. That way they were all in the same temp range.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    rsmith193 said:
    I've have had this on one of mine too. I put them on 1level by setting them on the bone side and tipping against eachother. That way they were all in the same temp range.
    Doing it this way they tend to shrink a bit during the cook allowing some space between the butts and really doesn't add much time to the cook.