Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Yet another First Spatchcock Chicken

And another happy customer!

I had to cook this "double raised" using the Woo2 and the top grid of the Tier2 because the apple wood chunks immediately caught fire and the flames were reaching the lower grid. The bids cooked really fast up this high - the dome temp was 390 and they reached an IT of 182 in an hour. Skin was crispy and the meat was still moist.

Comments

• That sounds right. I do 400F direct for an hour 15 or so. Looks great!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 1,807
    NIce job I love the Spatch!

Large BGE 2006, Small BGE 2014, Adjustable Rig R&B, PSWoo3, Thermapen.
    Weber Gasser for the Wife. 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • radamoradamo Posts: 328
    cooked them birds every which way... spatch rules!!!
    Long Island, NY
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 432
    How do u "spatch" chicken??? Every1seems to like it, i would love to try it. I do mine beer can and every1 likes it! :D
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 1,807
    edited August 2013
    I used to do beer cans all the time until I learned how to spatchcock. Cut the backbone out  and flip over the chicken then press the breast down to crack the breast bone, rub down and cook bone side down at 400 on a raised grid direct for about 1 hour. Cook to temperature though, breast 155 thigh 180. For an even better chicken brine the chicken the day before in a gallon of water with a cup of kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar and whatever herbs you want to add, I do about 8 garlic cloves smashed in the brine. 

Large BGE 2006, Small BGE 2014, Adjustable Rig R&B, PSWoo3, Thermapen.
    Weber Gasser for the Wife. 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia