Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Fish

Tomorrow I will cook my first planked salmon, and perhaps Mahi mahi?...  I have the woo 2, and planks of alder and cedar.  Kindly offer any suggestions!

Thanks,
Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Wish I could Dave, I have owned my beloved BGE since fathers Day and still haven't cooked fish. I will anxiously await assistance and store for later (GOOD LUCK).
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    For the salmon, I plank indirect, at least 400º dome. I'm cheap and re-use the planks (actually cedar shake), others go raised direct at 350º dome. I'm simple and I like salmon so no rubs, some oil, skin down (if it has skin only one side) some S&P and lemon slices. Do not overcook, off by 130ºish maximum.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    I have always planked 375 raised direct, I have a couple rubs I got while in Seattle but SWMBO really likes soy with brown sugar marinade. Then I simmer the rest of the marinade while the Salmon is cooking and spoon it on the plated Salmon. Take of at 130-135.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Thanks for the replies!  In about 4 hours I will get the egg going.  After reading these replies and looking at other threads about planked fish, I have decided to go raised direct first.  Depending on the number of guests there may be an opportunity to try indirect as well.  Pictures and a report after the party, err, I mean tomorrow <g>.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Planked Mahi-mahi, corn on the cob.  The fish came out perfectly moist and delicious!
    Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR