Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New Here

Hey all, I am joining the BGE community since I just won a medium egg in a contest. I currently do a lot of smoking and BBQ on gas grills and a gas smoker so I am excited about starting with the Egg. I have wanted one for some time but never pulled the trigger. The accessories arrived at my house and I am just waiting for the Egg so I can get started. How does the medium size work for those who have it? Would it be more beneficial if I was to try and exchange with a local dealer and upsize to a large?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome to the forum!  I have a medium and a large and I probably use my medium more often.  If you cook large amounts of food, you might want to trade up for a large, or get a second egg later.
    Normally cook for 2 or 4 but occasionally a crowd. I'll keep this one and if it's as good as I think it will be, I'll be supplementing it with a large! Lots of research to do here first before I begin...
  • Humph
    Humph Posts: 14
    Won it on the first try on this contest online. They are giving out 85 (one a day for 85 days) I believe. Kind of like a slot machine deal and I hit the first day! My wife hates me too...
  • The propane suppliers are gonna hate you, too.

Little Rock, AR

• Humph
    I'll still have my stainless steel, propane powered smoker for big jobs. I need to make some alterations to allow larger lumps of wood instead of just chips though. I am in a competition this Labor Day and will stay with the gas until I perfect the Egg (at least for this one).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Welcome aboard-given the choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time!  Great score!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Someday I'll get a good deal on an egg.

Welcome, I recommend you dive right in - search for Mickey's turbo butt recipe!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Humph said:
    I'll still have my stainless steel, propane powered smoker for big jobs. I need to make some alterations to allow larger lumps of wood instead of just chips though. I am in a competition this Labor Day and will stay with the gas until I perfect the Egg (at least for this one).
    This will occur very quickly.

Welcome, by the way.

I had a medium and loved it. The only disadvantages are the lack of accessories(compared to the other sizes) and the overall size can't handle the largest items, like a big packer brisket. There are plenty of options for doing everything on it that you can do on the other sizes. You just can't hang with the cool kids that have the adjustable rig. 

I am pretty sure you will wind up grabbing a second one down the line if you are already doing competitions. This will be fun.

Don't listen to anything Captain Brisket(The Cen-Tex Smoker) says. He is incorrigible. 
    ;)
  • Humph said:
    This will occur very quickly.

Welcome, by the way.

I had a medium and loved it. The only disadvantages are the lack of accessories(compared to the other sizes) and the overall size can't handle the largest items, like a big packer brisket. There are plenty of options for doing everything on it that you can do on the other sizes. You just can't hang with the cool kids that have the adjustable rig. 

I am pretty sure you will wind up grabbing a second one down the line if you are already doing competitions. This will be fun.

Don't listen to anything Captain Brisket(The Cen-Tex Smoker) says. He is incorrigible. 
    ;)
    That it total BS.......er.....I mean welcome Humph. Glad to have you on board. You'll love it here (except for Excelsior, but just tune him out).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Eggs are like boats, you start out small and want a bigger one in a few months. I would just trade up and get a large.
    Or keep the medium and get a large later Down the road.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Welcome to the journey!

You will still get a lot of use out of your SS gasser.

They make a wonderful place to store your egg accessories!

:))
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Humph said:
    Won it on the first try on this contest online. They are giving out 85 (one a day for 85 days) I believe. Kind of like a slot machine deal and I hit the first day! My wife hates me too...
    Welcome and congrats!  Where is the online giveaway?
    Southern California
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome and congrats on the "lottery" win. 
    Have a mediu, works fine for two of us and will handle a larger crowd if you are a good planner. For raised direct cooking, keep your eyes open for a grill dome extender rack. The part number is GE-3000, it fits the medium. I think Grill Dome has discontinued this product. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Welcome aboard matey....   love the boat pic.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Concur w/ Jaydub, the gasser will soon become a thing of the past, you will see! WELCOME!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    I love my med.  You can always get another after one of those gassers rusts out.

MBGE in Charleston

• Humph
    bicktrav said:
    Humph said:
    Welcome and congrats!  Where is the online giveaway?

https://www.facebook.com/SaveMartSupermarkets?directed_target_id=0&filter=2
  • Humph
    edited August 2013

boatbum said:

Thanks, that's my more expensive hobby! And to think I stressed over buying an egg? I fully intend on getting hooked, remodeling my BBQ island and adding some more green in the near future! What kind of boat do you have?
  • Humph
    Got my egg today! Put it together and cooked some rib eyes....damn near perfect! Nice smoke flavor and super juicy. The wife is still smiling.... what else matters?
  • boatbum
    Humph said:

boatbum said:

Thanks, that's my more expensive hobby! And to think I stressed over buying an egg? I fully intend on getting hooked, remodeling my BBQ island and adding some more green in the near future! What kind of boat do you have?

SeaRay Sundancer 40 ft

Love it - we spend a lot of time on it - cut into my Egg time.

About to sell it and move to something we can live on for a couple of weeks at a time.

Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Welcome to the zoo. Where are you? Also get ready to spend a boatload of $$$ :-c
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Welcome! I'm pretty new to the forum, as well. There is a great group helpful of folks that are quick to answer
    Questions and give advice. Enjoy!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    boatbum said:
    Humph said:

boatbum said:

SeaRay Sundancer 40 ft

Love it - we spend a lot of time on it - cut into my Egg time.

About to sell it and move to something we can live on for a couple of weeks at a time.

Humph - Welcome to the Eggworld.

I never realized but there are other boaters here.  (Nevermind the name boatbum).

Where do you guys boat?  We have a 30ft Rinker that we use on the Hudson River.  Moving it somewhere else next year if it does not sell.

Garnerville, NY
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Welcome...
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Welcome, nice score on the egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Grats and Welcome.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Welcome and congratulations on the first egg. You'll want to add up more pretty soon :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Humph
    Thanks all! I have a Sea Ray 410DA out here on the West Coast in Northern California. Getting ready to spend 5 days out on the water with freshly smoked baby backs so I can win a small competition.
  • boatbum
    I have been on the water for a week. Left out last Saturday, last night was the first time to not stay on the boat. At a hotel, with real showers for the night. Bare boat charter in Maine, we go here every summer.
    Cookin in Texas