Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Triple Threat Large Green Egg Table

Options

Just wanted to post a few pictures of my prototype "Triple Threat" Large Green Egg Table.  The table top is 5'-0" x 28", made of red oak, and was routed out with a 1/2 " straight cutting router bit [climbing cut], the base is pine, has three coats of exterior primer and three coats of exterior green paint, [a custom match color with the "Egg"], the base is mounted on (12) 10" pneumatic tires, fixed units in the rear and casters in the front. 

The table moves effortlessly over irregular ground, a requirement I needed.  I'm pretty happy with the way the table came out.  I will admit this was not an "afternoon project."

Look forward to your comments, both positive and otherwise.

Jerry

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    This looks perfect to roll over the St. Augustine grass we have here in FL. Great looking table and thanks for sharing the pictures!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I love the green. Might consider getting some space under the egg... Real nice looking table.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice table - looks like the landing gear on a B-52. 
    Options
    Just needs an engine now!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    nice place to put your beer down but i dont see where to open it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Champernowne
    Options
    fishlessman, thanks for the note, It's still a prototype.  I'm looking for a spot to attach my LaRue Tactical Beverage Entry Tool
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Awesome.  I literally laughed out loud when I saw the picture with the wheels.  Maybe slight overkill but it is awesome and I get why you used those wheels.    Im sure it rolls around ANY surface easily!
  • eprice
    eprice Posts: 12
    Options
    Very nice, just hope you don't have a flat on one of those center tires  ,  hehe
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    nice table is it 4x4 ???

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Champernowne
    Options

A quick follow-up to some of the comments, and a question:

The center tire(s) can be easily inflated with a standard air chuck [even with the tire assembly installed], and in the unlikely event that a tire could be slashed and needed to be replaced the process may take 10 minutes.  Likely a sharp rock would not cause a puncture, more likely an unruly guest yielding a machete.  You may not want that guest over again, no matter how badly you overcooked his ribs.   

Question:

Has anyone else had trouble getting their large green egg base to fit in a 21" diameter opening. My egg has a circumference of 64.75" and a diameter of 20.610", [measured at 5 1/4" down from the base top surface].   I was able to insert the egg into the opening but the clearance was really tight.  Only 3/16" clearance from the unit to the wood table top.  

I re-routed out a 21 3/4" opening to have a half inch of clearance between the egg and table top, [see image]

I spoke with Dwayne, at tech support at the Big Green Egg.  He said the bases and domes are hand made and a few bases are slightly larger then others.

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    Love it. Where in the world did you find those casters?
    Southern Indiana
  • Champernowne
    Options

I must confess, I only posted pictures of "Triple Threat" Prototype 1.0.... Brother, Jim is working on Prototype 1.25.  It's well underway, motorized and also works well in irregular terrain.  It's not a 4 x 4 but powered at the rear wheels and steered remotely at the front.   Brother Jim's Prototype makes 1.0 look mild.  Is he the only person that "needs" an all terrain motorized Egg Table?

Here he is testing the Egg and Table 1.0, thank goodness it passed, fast starting his "Egg," unfortunately we were cooking Baby Back Ribs that afternoon and he wanted to make sure his Egg could reach 800 degrees in 15 minutes.  It only took me 45 minutes to bring the temperature down to a more reasonable 275 degrees.  Don't nuke the ribs.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Trailer hitch and license plate... Tailgating heaven.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN