Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill thermometer

Options
I have never seen the CDN digital thermometer mentioned on the forum, but this is what I use.  Price is right,  3 AAA batteries last forever (1-1/2 years and running), and the armored cable handles the heat in the grill.  I recommend it.  I also have a Thermapen but am not that crazy about it, mainly use an Extech probe thermometer for spot measurements. 
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Why are you not crazy about the Thermapen? I have never heard of the Extech. How is the build quality? Does it really have a 1-sec response time? Thermistor or thermocouple?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Extech is an industrial supplier, lots of temp measurement stuff, widely available on the web including Amazon. I would guess it is a thermistor, but it is not stated in the spec.  I never measured response time, I always wait a few seconds for it to stabilize.  My thermapen is old, maybe not as good as current models.  Here is the Extech.  Note it is about $25
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I see. I was looking at the one with the flip probe for 41.99.