Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Large Egg Set Up For Tee Bones

All

I am planning to do some T Bones this weekend

On my old webber I would get it as hot as I could and then throw the steaks on for 3 min a side

With the BGE I have the cast iron grilll so do I use this without the place setter ?
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,250
    Yes. You can do the exact same cook on the egg(hot and fast) with the lid up. 

How thick are the steaks? There is also the Trex and Reverse Sear methods that will allow more "edge to edge" pink.

The plate setter is for indirect cooks. If you reverse sear, you would use it first and then remove it to do the sear. The egg can get much hotter than other grills so mind the temp. 
    ·
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 893
    Used to do the same thing with my OLD Weber. On my LBGE I get the egg stable at 450* dome. No plate setter, CI grate flat side down for "neat" grill marks. We like our steaks rare to med rare. 4 minutes per side. Works for us. (Mesquite chips for a great flavor.)

Good luck !

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 893
    Check out the simple T Bone steaks post...sounds good. 

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,894
    Eggcelsior said:  
    Yes. You can do the exact same cook on the egg(hot and fast) with the lid up.  
    Hmm, I still put the lid down.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Some great advice thanks
    ·
  • The steaks were superb last night

Proabably the best I have ever done on a BBQ

·