Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Another reason to grind your own......

Options
Saw this clip recently, nothing new here, but it is interesting viewing and reinforces the practice of grinding your own....
The video on Pink Slime is well worth a look...

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think I ate at a Mickey D's once in the past 8 years.  I eschew fast food in general.  Not just because the meats are such low quality, but because the  companies treat their workers like dirt and don't even pay a living wage.
    edited August 2013
    Options
    didnt they take the pink slim out last year. hard to find a better bang for the buck than a mcdouble
    :))
    i mean for a dollar what more could you ask for
    Total Fat 19g 29%
    Saturated Fat 8g 40%
    Trans Fat 1g
    Cholesterol 65mg 22%
    Sodium 850mg 35%
    Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%
    Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    Sugars 7g
    Protein 23g 46%
    Vitamin A 6 %
    Vitamin C 2 %
    Calcium 20 %
    Iron 20 %

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I remember seeing that when it first aired, totally disgusting. We grind our own meat for that and other reasons.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I think I ate at a Mickey D's once in the past 8 years.  I eschew fast food in general.  Not just because the meats are such low quality, but because the  companies treat their workers like dirt and don't even pay a living wage.
    I am so sick and tired of this "living wage" crap.  Minimum wage was never intended for a career job.  Most ff restaurants typically pay much more than minimum wage. That includes wally world. In some states, it is the UNION that drives those wages, NOT the restaurants.  If you are too lazy to try and better themselves then it is not incumbent upon the rest of the country to support them. (ObamaPhone, Food Stamps and the list goes on...)

Now don't misconstrue what I say,  I am not saying that there are not those that need assistance due to no fault of their own.  Help the helpless, the clueless just need to get a life and quit living off of the rest of us. (just google surfer dude and free food).

I was born and raised on the "wrong side of the tracks" and I am very successful in my line of work. Why, because I did work 3 jobs (including McDonalds and ChuckeeCheese) while going to school and paid for school myself. I worked hard to get what I have.  Today's kids have no clue what hard work is.  I started in a drive-in restaurant at the age of 12 making $.70/hr (in the early 70's) and was closing the place 4 nights a week by myself by the age of 14 and had one or two others working under me.  Child Services would have a cow over that today.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I am so sick and tired of this "living wage" crap.  Minimum wage was never intended for a career job.  Most ff restaurants typically pay much more than minimum wage. That includes wally world. In some states, it is the UNION that drives those wages, NOT the restaurants.  If you are too lazy to try and better themselves then it is not incumbent upon the rest of the country to support them. (ObamaPhone, Food Stamps and the list goes on...)

Now don't misconstrue what I say,  I am not saying that there are not those that need assistance due to no fault of their own.  Help the helpless, the clueless just need to get a life and quit living off of the rest of us. (just google surfer dude and free food).

I was born and raised on the "wrong side of the tracks" and I am very successful in my line of work. Why, because I did work 3 jobs (including McDonalds and ChuckeeCheese) while going to school and paid for school myself. I worked hard to get what I have.  Today's kids have no clue what hard work is.  I started in a drive-in restaurant at the age of 12 making $.70/hr (in the early 70's) and was closing the place 4 nights a week by myself by the age of 14 and had one or two others working under me.  Child Services would have a cow over that today.  
    Woah, hoss. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I eschew all my food.. fast, slow or otherwise. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    lol
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just don't eschew with your mouth open.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    onedbguru said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/04/17/walmart-pays-workers-poorly-and-sinks-while-costco-pays-workers-well-and-sails-proof-that-you-get-what-you-pay-for/
    Options
    @onedbguru makes a point that minimum wage jobs are not intended as living wage jobs. Like @nolaegghead I read the Forbes article and tend to agree, many jobs have been reduced to an almost 1920's assembly line mentality. Take out the skill, drop the compensation to the worker and profits soar, because anyone with a heartbeat can do the job. It has been great for my investment portfolio. For those of us on this forum, that's why the egg is made in Mexico, costs are less than if it was made in the USA.
    Here in BC (Canuckistan) our right wing government raised the minimum wage and then introduced a "training wage" payable for the first six months at $2/hr less than the minimum. Guess what happens to workers who attain 6 months on the job, their hours are cut and they leave. 
    On one hand if trade unions ran the world we would be paying $10 for a big Mac made with the same pink slime, on the other hand, if the owners ran the world we would all be working for $2 an hour. Watch what you buy for food......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Owners are not all evil. Most will pay good wages to keep good people. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The only fast food I eat is Sushi.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    The fastest food I eat is antelope.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I detest fast food burgers, and McD's is top of the list.  The family want's them sometimes, and I just make something for myself.  On the other hand last time I ordered from Wendy's (desperate for food on a long drive) I was treated so rudely when they messed up my order that I threw it at the front door and will starve before I give them another dime.  I like Chik-Filet, but only buy it when driving on a long trip.  Only fast food burger I've had that was decent was What-A-Burger.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Fully agree and never meant to imply that for owners that actually know their employees. A business where the employees are treated like family and as a valuable asset -  the business will succeed. Radioactive Ronnie's is far from a family or small business, the CEO would not know an employee if he tripped over one - hence the story line and success of TV programs like "Undercover Boss". Bosses getting to understand the life of the average or front line employee.
    Costco represents a different paradigm, I think.
    @Doc_Eggerton - understand completely, except my run-in was with Burger King - service so pathetic that I walked out after paying and simply refuse to ever go back. Upside is I now only stop at pub style roadhouses, some good some not so much, but all better than the fast food joints. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Thanks for that informative platitude.  Expect a mushroom cloud layin' motherf*cking response later this evening.  I have things to do right now.
    Options

Well, on a cheerier note, I truly like Carl Jr's burgers.  We have two of them in our end of town and their service is very good also!

Go Carl's Jr.! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Thanks for that informative platitude.  Expect a mushroom cloud layin' motherf*cking response later this evening.  I have things to do right now.
    And the Saints won a pre-season today, man would you be pissed if they lost.....
    Keep smiling Nola, life is good.....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Well, on a cheerier note, I truly like Carl Jr's burgers.  We have two of them in our end of town and their service is very good also!

Go Carl's Jr.! 

@jaydub58 - Been to one in Seattle, have one in Vancouver - never head into town much. Was good as I recall. Do you have any Five Guys burgers and Fries? (As I recall you are in Oregon)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Go Carl's Jr.! 

@jaydub58 - Been to one in Seattle, have one in Vancouver - never head into town much. Was good as I recall. Do you have any Five Guys burgers and Fries? (As I recall you are in Oregon)

Right, @Skiddymarker.  I'm in Eugene, OR

We have two Five Guys here.  Their burgers are quite good, but I don't care so much for their fries.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Do you get the cajun ones jay dub? I'm amazed they have spread that far. I remember when they only had 5 stores around DC.