Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Few butt questions for party???

Options
So next w/e we are having about a dozen people over for my first little egg party and was going to cook two 7.5 lb pork butts,4 racks pork spare ribs and two spatchcock chickens.So my plan is to cook the butts overnight friday indirect at 250 then the ribs sat afternoon at 250 when butts come off  as egg will already at the correct temp.I'll cook the two chickens at 400 raised direct at the end for an hour.

About how long per pound for pork butt at 250-270 indirect?
About how much lump for overnight cook,is the top of fire ring enough?
Is the oval stone required cause if not id have room for butts and ribs at same time? (I have adj rig with R&b oval combo).I also have spider and smaller 13" stone and could cook  ribs and butt together but figure the spider would take up some space down low and limit my lump space and that the smaller stone on the spider could burn the rib ends???

Finally I ashamed to say i've never had pork butt before so what kinda sauce (if any) goes good on pulled pork sandwiches?

thanks.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Figure 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per lb so anywhere from 10-14 hrs for the butts.  One two or three it doesn't matter, just the biggest.  As far as your setup, I can't help you with that, someone else will chime in, but you are correct in that you don't want to expose the ribs or butt to direct heat so make sure it all fits over whatever rig you use.  The rest of your plan sounds good, just leave a little extra time for the unforseen. 

As far as BBQ sauce, just about everybody will have a different opinion on that.  My favorite right now is a 50/50 mixture of Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog TN Red.  But for a party I'd have a few available.  One that's sweet and one with some heat.

Good luck.  Let us know how it works out.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Grasshopper at a later date please allow me to introduce you to TURBO....... :)]
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Mickey said:

Grasshopper at a later date please allow me to introduce you to TURBO....... :)]

Thought of that to...decisions decisions.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Butts on midNight Friday and hopefully off noon sat for ribs to go on...how long can I FTC the butts?we aim to eat at six sat evening?

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I FTC'd 4 butts last weekend for 5 hours - no problem.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you get in a jam wrap the butts and bump up to 350. Give yourself extra time. I've ftc for 6 hrs. Consider a turbo ribs cook. 3 hrs max. Serve a few different sauces. Memphis, KC, Carolina styles...

Lots of pics.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN