Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Soup for the BGE

Options
Roasted a whole chicken last night, for the first time in a long time.  I prefer parts because I can control the finish time better.  When I do a whole chicken this style, I always block the neck to keep moisture in with whatever fruit is laying around, or an onion.  Tonight it was a nectarine and the core of a pineapple.

Got a late start, and by the time it was finished we didn't have much appetite.  The Spouse had a thigh, and I had a few scraps, we'd already eaten some fruit salad.

So today I had most of a roasted chicken to deal with.  Into the pot to boil briefly, then sit for a couple hours in the hot water.  Stripped of all the usable meat, and back into the pot with some veggies and spices, and voila, chicken soup.  After the heat is turned off, for the ingredients to get friendly, I slosh in a couple of cups of white wine.Pretty darned good, if i say so myself.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Looking at the photos, I now wish I'd kept the drip pan juice.  I will do that from now on, and if I don't use it in a day or two just toss it out. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Will remember this for the fall/winter

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Omg that looks good... I'll take some now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    I've been saving my chicken backbones from spatched chickens.  After I have 3-4 lbs. I'm going to make some homemade chicken stock and then use that as a base for some homemade chicken soup.  Your soup looks great with the mushrooms and mirepoix!  I'll have to keep that in mind and use mushrooms with my soup.  
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Wow!  My next spatchcock is gonna give up soup like that.

Beautiful.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Here is the yield for most of a regular sized roaster.  The one on the left is very hearty, almost chicken stew (I thought about adding a little flour to thicken it).  The middle one came out of the bottom of the pot, and has plenty of chicken, but it is small, broken down pieces.  It is definitely different in texture but not taste.  On the right is just stock which I am using to make rice tonight.

The important thing here is to remember the chicken is already cooked.  With a raw chicken you boil it a lot more.  For this it was simmered briefly and then left to sit in the hot water with the heat off for a couple of hours before stripping the meat.

We use beef scraps and bones to make soup too.

• cajuncook
    Options
    If life gives you leftover chicken, make soup.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    the color on the skin of it roasted is picture perfect!  great work!

• cookingdude555
    Options
    That looks really good.  I like the color on that skin, is that a brown sugar rub you used?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Grill Masters Montreal Chicken rub.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    That bowl of soup photo with all the mushrooms looks fantastic! Great idea. I'll be bookmarking this for later! Thanks Doc
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA